Mig Welding question

bowhunter74

#11 Post by bowhunter74 »

You want to look for duty cycle. Most cheap mig setups are a 20% duty cycle, your high end setups that run 460 volts are 100% duty cycle, which means the higher the duty cycle the longer you will be able to weld without your welder shuting down to cool off.

I weld with a 100% duty cycle 460volt Miller at work and I promise you it will run a full shift (8 hrs) non stop. We don't do this, but you could if you wanted to.

I have used them all and ESAB's are my favorite. :hammer:

cannondale27

#12 Post by cannondale27 »

Forget about MIG buy a TIG welder.I agree Miller is best.Mig welding is a thing of past cost has gone way down for TIG.I have a Lincoln 110 MIG at home bought about 8 years ago at minimum if you weld aluminum you will need a spool gun which pulls the wire rather than pushing it through whip.The gun brings cost up to TIG range.Plan on lots of practice while welding aluminum.Steel is really really easy with a TIG.

Mjollnir

#13 Post by Mjollnir »

I have a MillerMatic 180. My main suggestion would be to buy a 220 volt machine for home use - you won't have 3 phase at home, so the 460 industrial model is kinda out for you.

Don't waste your money on any knock off brands, get ESAB, Miller, Lincoln or Hobart. ESAB's probably the nicest, but also the most expensive. Hobart and Miller are made by the same parent company, I think, but the Millers are nicer. If you figure out which one you want and do some Google searches, you can usually find one with free shipping. I think I got mine for about $700 to my door. Then you need to buy your helmet, safety gear, tank and gas, along with clamps, magnets, and other tools you'll need to actually start your fabrication.

I would have $1k on hand to get started with a setup that's not junk.

Marc

superfly

#14 Post by superfly »

Have a miller with with spool gun set up, works great. Easy to use.

banzairx7

#15 Post by banzairx7 »

I would bring it to a shop to get tig'd. Small aluminum parts will be a PIA to mig.

I know a shop in worcester that will do an awesome job but they aren't cheap. This is the kind of shop where they could make the whole subframe start to finish. They deliver on time and the parts are 100% right and beautiful. They do all the welded assemblies for my work.

http://www.stonebridge-kef.com

Ask for Mac. Tell him Scott from Webb told you to talk with him.

cdalemx301

#16 Post by cdalemx301 »

Chris like i saidi know a great welder the next town over redid my whole swingarm for me grinded out every weld and rewelded plus put a plate in for like 100 bucks...very competant guy he builds race cars for a living so you know that his welds will hold

4strokemadman

#17 Post by 4strokemadman »

Don't forget, if your talking about welding subframes....the stock one is heat treated to T-6 after weld.

wistech

#18 Post by wistech »

I just ordered a TIG welder. It was dirt cheap $200 new. Ill see how good it works on aluminum.

cdalerider75

#19 Post by cdalerider75 »

which one???

wistech

#20 Post by wistech »

Harbor frieght . Its a el cheapo central electric one. The best that the streets of Nangking can offer. It was 300 but now on sale for 200. Its the dinli of welders. The next one up was a $1350 Hobart.