Why cant I powdercoat my enine case?

azcannon

Why cant I powdercoat my enine case?

#1 Post by azcannon »

I am in the final teardown stage of my dirtbike ssm case and I have already sent out my vlave cover/clutch cover and side cover for powdercoating, why can't I sent out my engine case I took out all the bearings except the crank balancer,hyd. clutch bearing and the thin transmission bearing and the block is bare. What can I use to mask the engine with and what kind of cleaning is necessary ? I would like to prep it myself . Is chrome a better option cause that would be cool, when the engine is done the frame is getting polished and the swingarm. I have no experience in this at all so your different opinions are appreciated.

61austin

#2 Post by 61austin »

Who says you can't powdercoat the case? I am planning to do mine before I get it back together. The powdercoater should be able to get fiberglass tape or silicone plugs for all the holes. If you find some reason that this can't be done please let me know.

Derno24

#3 Post by Derno24 »

I have seen people powdercoat the engine case before so I know it can be done. You can not have any bearings in it though. Or at least I wouldn't leave them in there.

Normantwo2cool

#4 Post by Normantwo2cool »

I do agree powdercoating your case or engine covers can look cool but it really isnt cool.

What I mean is that with the many overheating issues with many bikes/quads it doesnt make any sense to powercoat your engine parts.

It doesnt make any sense to remove a magnesium clutch cover(bikes) and add a billet powdercoated cover. Mag. has much better heat transfer properties.

By powdercoating them it only retains heat. You can have your parts coated with a thermal dispersement coating that helps dissipate heat from your engine. Its only available in flat black though.

The again if one isnt racing or killing his dale on the dunes heck powder coat everything.

jfarrar

#5 Post by jfarrar »

i have my engine cases and frame powdercoated on my quad and have noticed very little if any additional heating issues.i pound my quad to the max everytime the key is turned and have road on somevery hot days and mine got no hotter than the stock dales i ride with.if it will survive on my bike i say getter done

2000ex

#6 Post by 2000ex »

The heat retention with PC is MINIMAL. You think dales run hot? Most air cooled harley V-twins cylinders are PC'd. There is a marginal increase in cylinder temps going from bare cast S&S heads and cylinders to having them PC'd. This has been done on several machines I have done and tested with a digital laser thermometer. Nothing to worry about, the only thing I would be careful with is the temp of the case while baking. These are cast cases with not the best materials as we know and may warp. Just make sure your coater knows what he is doing and you will be fine

Normantwo2cool

#7 Post by Normantwo2cool »

Originally posted by 2000ex
The heat retention with PC is MINIMAL.  You think dales run hot?  Most air cooled harley V-twins cylinders are PC'd. There is a  marginal increase in cylinder temps going from bare cast S&S heads and cylinders to having them PC'd.  This has been done on several machines I have done and tested with a digital laser thermometer.  Nothing to worry about, the only thing I would be careful with is the temp of the case while baking.  These are cast cases with not the best materials as we know and may warp.  Just make sure your coater knows what he is doing and you will be fine

I wasnt refering to cylinder temp going up. I was refering to engine oil temp and specifically clutch temp.

I didnt mean if you powdercoated your engine cases it would cause an immediate failure. But it does retain heat. How much so one would have to do a pretty extensive/elaborate test.

As far as warping the cases. Most powders are cured at 350f for about 15 minutes. 450's and 250f's can have an oil temp exceeding 300f and I have seen them over 350f.

The 50cc mini motocrossers(not pitbike) have the hottest temps out of all offroad bikes. Even with a beginner rider the oil temps on these bike are commonly 350f and we have measured them above 400f. They get so hot it will cause distillation of the engine oil.

They powdercoat the cases on these bikes all the time.

If I were going to powdercoat cases I would tape off the seam at the case halves and bolt them back together. When i was done I would lap them on a granite surface plate.

This is a PC business I listed on ebay a few months ago then removed for a private sale to someone in texas. Over 3,000 lbs of powder. Scroll down and enlarge the truck pic.
PC business