ATK Ebay Piston Kit

Killer_Shee

ATK Ebay Piston Kit

#1 Post by Killer_Shee »

ATK has a Cannondale topend kit on Ebay. It is listed as a "red" piston and "red" sleeve. What does "red" mean?

yamadjs08

#2 Post by yamadjs08 »

I was wondering the same thing!?!???

Easy E

#3 Post by Easy E »

They listed a "Green" kit last time. Now I'm wondering too!

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

There was two different piston and sleeve kits made either by two different companies or different production runs by one company. You want to match the piston color to the sleeve color, as they are a matched set. Rumor has it that one of the piston kits are desired over the other due to some mismachining on some of one of the colors. Talk with Doug or Brad about what is desirable. Brad sent me one of the good ones, but I forgot what color it was. The problem is the drill mark on the sleeve, on some it's too deep and has led to cracking. I don't believe it was all of one of the colors but the other color didn't have the same problem. My advice, get Doug or Brad to get you the piston kit. Even if you pay a few bucks more you will get a good kit, as they inspect it before sending it to you. ATK has a habit of sending whatever they grab out of the bin first.

cdrider02

#5 Post by cdrider02 »

I believe the green ones are the good ones but that is not to say that all of the reds are bad . You need to be able to check or have someone check for you it should just be a tapered dimple like the tip of a drill it should not get to full diameter.

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

The Asso pistons were matched to the sleeves.VG=green dot
VR=red dot.If more green dots which rumor has it were better it would just be a coincidence.VG or VR is marked on top of piston opposite arrow.The original Wisecos the sleeves were not matched but they ran very big tolerance to do that.Other than the obvious dimple drilled to deep I havent seen any differences in reliability of any stock sleeve.That does not mean I wouldnt check all the clearances like factory did.There are some oddballs out there that can cause some major headaches.Believe me I know.

Brad Oakley

#7 Post by Brad Oakley »

I purchase lot of sleeves. ALL have to be inspected. I've rejected green as well as red sleeves.

By the way... the difference between the so-called 'green' and 'red' pistons is so slight that it really doesn't matter what piston goes which sleeve!