Dales at the Flat Track

Brad Oakley

#21 Post by Brad Oakley »

Without going into too much detail, I'd like to correct a few misconceptions regarding fuels. I draw on my 17 years in the petroleum industry - including four as a chemist in an oil refinery laboratory.

When you mix different octanes of fuels, you will end up with a fuel that is the average of them both. Period. Your 50/50 mixture of 91 and 110 octane gas gives you 100.5 octane gas.

Octane is NOT a measure of the energy contained in gas. It is ONLY a measure of the fuel's ability to resist pre-detonation. If you want to measure energy, you need to use BTU/pound calculations.

What you need to know about is a concept called VAPOR PRESSURE. This is the ability of a petroleum product to turn to vapor at a certain temperature under one atmosphere of pressure. The higher the number, the easier it vaporizes. Asphalt is near zero. Propane is at 60. Gasoline runs at between 6 and 11 on the scale. This is where the fuel mixing has its effect.

Race gas (and Avgas) typically have a vapor pressure in the six range. They don't vaporize (atomize) very easily. This is done to help prevent vaporlock since race fuels are traditionally run in high-heat applications. 'Pump' gas usually runs between a 9 (Summer) and an 11 (Winter) on the scale. When race and pump gas are mixed, the vapor pressure comes out in the middle. This mix atomizes easier and therefore combusts more efficiently, giving you more usable power!

Me? I use only super no-lead. I throw in some fuel stabilizer (I buy mine at Home Depot) to help slow the vaporization of the gas's light-ends and to keep my system clean. Simple as that!

cannondale27

#22 Post by cannondale27 »

Race gas (and Avgas) typically have a vapor pressure in the six range

I agree with this regarding Avgas but not all race gas.You can look up specs and this value varies very much depending on what race gas you get.One reason why Avgas is not recommended.I think Avgas also has alot of lead and lubricants added that arent necessary for our motors since they were designed to run without them.End up with lots of carbon deposits.

Big Josh you can get the gas tested.VP does it I know.How much do you have?Might just be better off running it in truck or mower.Not worth risk if you think its bad.But you havent said what actually happened to these motors.Like siezed piston,hole in piston,etc.Or it could just be some other rpm related failure such as valves or even crank.

BigJosh

#23 Post by BigJosh »

Well both quads had rings and piston melt down

Happyboy

#24 Post by Happyboy »

Sounds like a lean condition, not a fuel problem.

wistech

#25 Post by wistech »

Were the rings gapped before they were installed in the engine?

BigJosh

#26 Post by BigJosh »

Yep both quads were both set correct and yes it does sound like it was caused by being to lean. But the cannondale that went poof ran great on the 93 fuel had no problems at all. Put in the 110 mix with 93 and puf the purple dragon...............:eek:

wanablaze

#27 Post by wanablaze »

I'm with happy, if they burned up like that, they were probably lean. As pointed out, that's probably oxygenated fuel.