Fuel question.....

TucsonCannibal

Fuel question.....

#1 Post by TucsonCannibal »

I just rebuilt my motor with the help of AZCANNON... who is the man btw, thanks man!..

I put the Wiseco 13:1 piston in it and I know that I have to run race gas.. but what should I use?

I can get C-12, which is around 104-108 octane at $7.50 a gal... or I can get Shell 110, which used to be the Sunoco Power Purple.. Shell bought out Sunoco.. this is a true 110 octane fuel at $5.00 a gal.

Question is , will the 110 be too much for my mototr with the 13:1 piston. I would rather save $2.50 a gal, but not at the cost of my motor.

Please give any input here... I wanna fire up my dale tomorrow morning. Thanks ya'll!!

Cannondale88

#2 Post by Cannondale88 »

SO should I run race fuel?...I have 13:1 to...Iv been running 93...works fine....but is it tearing up my motor?

fig

#3 Post by fig »

Try both and see if you can tell the difference. Too much octane is not good, it makes the fuel harder to iginite. If you can't tell the difference run the cheaper but higher octane.

Psychosis

#4 Post by Psychosis »

I don't have a 13:1 high comp piston but I heard knocking even w/the Timbo stroker w/high comp piston on 93. I run a 50/50 110 and 93 octane combo and it works great and saves a little cash over straight 110. 110 octane here only costs about $5.25 a gallon though.

badvox

#5 Post by badvox »

I made a mistake and ran some race gas through my ATK.
It may have burned up my injector o-rings. Wont know untill tommorrow though.

I think it was canniboomer telling me that there were 2 different kinds and that stock rings couldnt take it.

Not an expert but I may be needing new injector o-rings.

mike

Psychosis

#6 Post by Psychosis »

Originally posted by badvox
I made a mistake and ran some race gas through my ATK.  
It may have burned up my injector o-rings. Wont know untill tommorrow though.  

I think it was canniboomer telling me that there were 2 different kinds and that stock rings couldnt take it.  

Not an expert but I may be needing new injector o-rings.

mike

Talk to Brad at BW. He's got them for like $10 or less and they're the better ones fro race fuel. I ordered some awhile back and they haven't failed yet. The stockers can't take the added octane number so you must buy new ones that can.

badvox

#7 Post by badvox »

Now that i think of it it was Brad. Im way too tired this week.

Mike

Brad Oakley

#8 Post by Brad Oakley »

I carry sets (4 pieces) of the injector o-rings made of viton rubber. MUCH more resistant to race fuels. Price is $8.00 for the set. Of course it's only $5.00 for the set made of nitrile rubber - if you don't use the race stuff.

What 13:1 Wiseco piston is this? I hope that isn't what people are saying about the ones I sold! That special batch I got from Wiseco is only (and has always been) a 12.3:1 ratio. Of course, that's up from the 11.8:1 from the factory stock piston. That provides a significant increase in performance - but it doesn't need race fuel. Should run just fine on premium no-lead!

BigJosh

#9 Post by BigJosh »

You can take this advise or not but I can send pics of some melted pistons. I would run 93 octane and use a fuel booster but only use about a 1/4 of it per tank. This has happened to both a 450 piston the stock 432 piston. And we didnt realy see any diffrant power when we ran 110 mixed with 93. But its your motor.............:mad: Just wouldnt want to see this face...

Happyboy

#10 Post by Happyboy »

Originally posted by BigJosh
You can take this advise or not but I can send pics of some melted pistons. I would run 93 octane and use a fuel booster but only use about a 1/4 of it per tank.  This has happened to both a 450 piston the stock 432 piston. And we didnt realy see any diffrant power when we ran 110 mixed with 93. But its your motor.............:mad:  Just wouldnt want to see this face...

I take it from your post you are saying the higher octane melted your pistons?

As for power...I think Tim and company saw a 2hp difference when he switched to the 110 mix at the dyno last weekend.