Help!!!

haydug

Help!!!

#1 Post by haydug »

well, I have never played basketball, but I was just volunteered to coach a 3rd grade team. So, anyone have any idea's? I'm not sure even all the rules, or positions. :cry:

The only rule I requested, no body can get angry with me for losing. I'll work with the kids, but not sure how much I can teach them about something I know nothing about.

CannondaleRider

#2 Post by CannondaleRider »

Wow....why would they randomly volunteer somebody that doesn't know everything about it?

jesshamner

#3 Post by jesshamner »

Ok...what do you want to know? The object of the game is to put the ball in 1 hoop and stop the other team from putting the same ball in the other hoop. LOL.

The positions are point guard, shooting guard, small forward, power forward, and center. Point guard handles the ball and gets it into the right hands. The shooting guard is a catch and shoot player. Small forward is a shooter, passer, rebounder, and drive to the basket person. Power forward, is a post player, swingman (passer or screener at the top of the key). Center is a post player that stays within 15' of the basket ideally. Center rebounds, blocks, and shoots from short distances.

There are many schools of thought for positions and how they're played. My school of thought is engrained into my head and has been since I was about 6 years old. I learned from the same coach and he really knew his basketball. His theory is DWC or Defense Wins Championships. My theory is this: You can't win unless you outscore the other team. Defense is involved but you must play an aggressive offense too. Man I can write for days on this subject. I have studied the game a lot. It might be better for you to ask particular questions unless you just like reading. biggrin.gif

jesshamner

#4 Post by jesshamner »

By the way, defense is very easy if you stop and think about it. Good luck getting kids of that age to think about it. LOL. I have coached young kids myself. I'd say the best thing to do is let them have fun even if you don't win. Its hard to do when you're losing. That is something you're going to have to get creative with.

Jman

#5 Post by Jman »

Im coaching 7-10 year olds right now. My son is 7. I played basketball in college and for a couple of years overseas. The key is to unlearn every thing I know and realize that these kids have never learned anything about the game.

Just teach them the very basics. How to make a layup. What the difference is between offense and defense. Which end you shoot at and which end you dont.

Try to find one player that can dribble and let him bring the ball up the court. Try to teach them to pass, but don't expect too much.

If you need any pointers, PM me and I'll give you my phone number, you can call anytime for advice.

I need a motor rebuilt so maybe we can work a deal!smile.gif smile.gif JK. Though you may be beggin' to work on it after your first practice!

Oh yeah, GOOD LUCK!!!!!

haydug

#6 Post by haydug »

Jman, let me get this straight. You are coming up here to coach this team, while I hide and rebuild your motor? DEAL!! :deal:

See you on Tuesday!

Thanks for the pointers. I went tonight and watched 2 other teams practice. Guess I'm gonna learn alittle about basketball this week.

Jman

#7 Post by Jman »

Hmmm..... Never been to Ohio. If I can just find someone to coach my team..... You got an extra bedroom?biggrin.gif

Ryanstones

#8 Post by Ryanstones »

Coach Haydug! That's funny. biggrin.gif

If i ever get the battery I ordered I'll send you a great coaches manual full of drills and so forth from my coaching days. Have to dig it out but i know I have it.

Over 4 seasons my winning % was around .580.
We always had fun and the kids were happy.

Good luck man:head:

haydug

#9 Post by haydug »

Originally posted by Ryanstones
Coach Haydug! That's funny. biggrin.gif

If i ever get the battery I ordered I'll send you a great coaches manual full of drills and so forth from my coaching days. Have to dig it out but i know I have it.

Over 4 seasons my winning % was around .580.
We always had fun and the kids were happy.

Good luck man:head:

Cool, Thanks Ryan. Now, go run 2 laps!! biggrin.gif

Ryanstones

#10 Post by Ryanstones »

Hey! now you're getting the hang of it! LOL