Hail to the king BABY

wistech

Hail to the king BABY

#1 Post by wistech »

Oh yes victory was mine . Until further notice I will be full of myself knowing that I have bested the competition with a mighty run of 55.01 rear wheel horsepower.

I knew from the last dyno day from the way power was climbing that the Saint Anthonies Special just needed more fuel to get to 55. I did all that could be done with the fuel pressure and mil tool but the afr was still in an engine melting lean condition. Even the titanium header was glowing . I was very lucky not to burn it up .
I had no intentions of running the SAS for this saturdays dyno day until correct injectors could be found but C27 called with news that he had aquired a set of Harley injectors to test. Then when Timbomoose called and said he had finished a special prototype part we had been working on on the way express mail I had to give it a shot. It came in on time DHL . I met up at C27's house friday night and we set about installing the new parts . It fired and ran so off to the dyno .
Dyno results.
As I suspected the injectors flowed way to much for the 500 to handle . This time the afr was off scale rich. I ended up having to drop fuel pressure off down to an unbelievable 25 psi to get it to run. Funny thing was the ecm afr dealt with it ok and the graph ended up pretty good. A fairly flat afr was achieved then I set about to getting peak numbers. First run was around 52 then with some fine tuning with the fuel pressure we broke the 54 horse number the 505 pulled at the last dyno day. The quad was running super rich on the bottom so I hooked the vacuum line up the the regulator and fuel pressure dropped down below 20psi and that was just what was needed . The quad pulled to above 54.5 ,then more pressure adjustments and we were at 54.75. The quad was getting really hot ,dyno time was getting very short and then near disaster struck when on the final run the afr went lean through the pull and the engine shutdown. All I could think she finnally gave up the ghost so close to my goal. The Kieth pointed out the the tank was dry . We burned 2 gallons of fuel on the dyno with the fast and furious mil tool action and countless runs trying for the last quarter horse.

I had no more fuel but the dyno team were so into the runs that they offered to get me a gallon just to see what the quad would do. ( Big thanks to the Mikes cycle guys) After some fresh fuel she fired right up and after a few more runs we were just a tenth away from 55. I couldnt stop now so we never shut the quad off and did fuel pressure adjustments with the quad still rollin. Then at last those sweet numbers popped on the screen 55.01 All 3 of us cheered and I gave the signal to shuterdown.

What a great day for me but the fun wasnt over yet.
Mike Cousins made it up to the dyno thanks to C27 going down to pick them up after the tranny failed on their truck. It was a lightly ported 432 motor ,bike velocity stack ,full airbox,mc500 ecm and a hmf exhaust. We already knew the quad was a strong runner and hoped to tune it in for best power. That puppy pulled 43 ponies right off the bat and it gained on every run till it was fully warmed up peaking at 44 . The afr was good as is but a little tweaking brought it up to 45 on the head. Very impressive for such a setup.
The day was not over as iceracer finnaly rolled in his fresh 450 timbo stroker. Again sporting a 500ecm and an old beat up modified toaster exhaust I built for my speed several years ago. We had to change the plug on the quad because it was flooded from being out of tune and sitting in the cold . But once it fired up it ended up pulling 50 .

:wow With a toaster!!! Thats only 1 horse shy of what a full race exhaust has been pulling with that engine setup.
Final quad of the day was Neil Franchucks backup ice racing quad . It was one of my 468 but its obvious it needs a toaster system because the 01 headpipe on the hmf slipon seemed to clog it up and only ended up with 49 hp before I gave up on it.
Im sure with the right exhaust and someone who knows how to tune a mc1000 better than me it will be in the low 50's.

Other than Steve smashing his car and truck and the rescue mission to pick up the boys who broke down it was a another great day at the dyno.

Ask any questions you like and feel free to refer to me as "EL Conquestador"

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

Oh ya I forgot to mention that the crf450 quad that started this whole quest for power last dynoed 53 horse on this dyno.tongue.gif

I know that the 505 is going to smash my record as soon as it has the latest mods on its way to 60 horse but until then . NA NA NA NA NA NA

I also know this post is arrgant and Im being a smarty pants but please let me enjoy my moment in the sun. Everybody pulled together and we worked so hard for this little victory . I dont even want to think about all the hours that went into this project and worse all the hours that are to come on the next goal.

Kind of wierd that 3 of the 4 quads today had a mc500 on them and only those 3 had satisfying results. Not saying the mc1000 is a problem just saying that just because something is old and supposedly obsolete doesnt mean its no good.

Derno24

#3 Post by Derno24 »

Good work!

jwheat

#4 Post by jwheat »

Great work Wistech! You, Timbo, and C27 have made great accomplishments with these bikes and I'm proud you're part of the Cannondale team!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :usa :head:

Blazinmoto

#5 Post by Blazinmoto »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
AWSOME!!!

hogman

#6 Post by hogman »

Hey i want some credit here those harley injectors were MY idea.
j/k Now someone please put them in a 505!!!! Hey wistech i got a engine that needs rebulding wanna build me a 505 and break the 60 hp mark smile.gif

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

Oh Im gonna break 60 but Im not going to need a 505 to do it. Hopefully this next year your going to see some really cool stuff with just the standard strokers. And its going to be a bunch of the other engine builders using all thier tricks to. This has been called the make or break year for the Cannondales . I think they are going to make it because we have only just begun.

As far as the harley injectors I hope everybody doesnt go out and start buying them because they are for sure not ideal and hopefully the right ones will be found.

Mjollnir

#8 Post by Mjollnir »

Bravo! Very impressive!

Marc

azcannon

#9 Post by azcannon »

Congratulations Mr.COn Queso , thanks for your R & D work and hard work , now post me a blueprint of everything you did so I can sell it for 1 Million dollars

theJeStEr1340

#10 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

Awsome job, and anyone that gets upset about your cockyness needs to remove the stick from their :w: