Supporting our Cannondale covergirl

wistech

Supporting our Cannondale covergirl

#1 Post by wistech »

A while back I recieved a phone call from Cdalechick asking for support for her 2006 race season. If any of you know Kara she has been an outstanding member of this website for quite some time . She has been through a lot of the good and the bad of being a Cannondale owner. I can think of no one that deserves full support more than her. I would like to dedicate this thread to helping Kara and hope that others will join in (many of which already have ) and make this season the best yet.

I hope to post anything and everything that has to do with the resurection of Kara's bruised and battle weary quad.

One thing I will ask right away is we need experienced volunteers to help installing the new powerplant in a few weeks. Is there anyone that lives near Texas that could donate a weekend or 2? I might be able to send one of our WI cheeseheads down if the timing is right for him.

Another is I have already gathered enough parts to build the engine and accesories but still need some cash to pay for dyno time and for entry fees. If anyone can help out Kara will post her paypal link . I believe she said she has enough for half of the season already.

I will start posting pics of the engine asap. It has a very interesting story to tell.

wistech

What happened.

#2 Post by wistech »

From the teardown inspection it is obvious that this engine had but minutes of life left in it. The flywheel side crank bearing (the newer style) had eaten up the plastic cage between the rollers . The rollers and races were still intact and undamaged but since they were no longer evenly spaced the crank started to get abnormal lateral play in it. Enough to cause the timing chain to become slack. The self adjuster moved the chain slide out to take up the slack but when the crank moved the other way it caused the cam chain to become very tight. So much so that it broke the rear slide in half. Sending the pieces down into the scavange pump gears.
The aluminum gear took most of the damage but since the tranny oil pump was no longer turning the tranny became starved for oil. I dont know what those metal pieces sticking out of the back of the front chain slider are.

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

The cyllinder head also had a small issue with one of the valve buckets. The cam lobe was ok but the top of the bucket showed signs of stress. Sure enough the bucket was tight in the bore about half way down. Thank Timbomoose for finding this issue.

jwheat

#4 Post by jwheat »

:clap: :clap: :clap: Way to go Wistech. I started a post a few weeks back about supporting Kara's racing and I think she got a few donations back then. Hopefully a few more people will help out with this project.

CDaleChick

#5 Post by CDaleChick »

everyone has been so helpful and i want to thank everyone that has helped me in anyway. I am really excited about the 2006 season. I have posted my paypal link before but here it is in case if anyone still wants to help out with a sponsorship. I was going to go to local businesses after the New Years but I just recently lost my grandfather a few days ago so things have been a bit hectic. Hopefully the local places will be able to help some also. My paypal email is MotoXQuadChick@academicplanet.com

thanks everyone and hope you enjoy the wild and crazy pics of my poor motor tongue.gif

BigJosh

#6 Post by BigJosh »

Is there any other misc. parts you may need for the season. Also maybe backup parts you could think of. Im sure we have some things collecting dust you may put to good use.....Let me know.......smile.gif

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

Heres a list of items needed. I will update as needed.

Engine oil
Gear oil
Battery
Rear tires 18" mx
Evans coolant-aquired
clutch cable

r.porter

#8 Post by r.porter »

I have the Evans here and can install the engine when its ready. I have worked with Kara before.

BigJosh

#9 Post by BigJosh »

I may have a almost new set of tires I will check. As for the other stuff What kind of oil is she running. Clutch cable could be found I think. Well if anything we are gonna find out what we do have laying around. I will let you know soon. Give me a few days. I have a few busys days at work then off for a few....biggrin.gif

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

Plenty of time . The engine will be built as this thread progresses. If it goes good I may divulge how we do some our power secrets. So the more you give the more you get. Hows that sound?