Best power for dollar

cannondalerhino

Best power for dollar

#1 Post by cannondalerhino »

Timbo work being done, just wanted to get everyones opinion.

J. Delaney

#2 Post by J. Delaney »

It's probably 6 of one, half dozen of another.

azcannon

#3 Post by azcannon »

Well I told you Stroker and porting because you have to have the cam's done and decompression and stuff probably cost the same sa the 450 kit when done and you don't have a choice on the cams. Ever thought of changing the timing to maximize the torque ?

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

If money is the issue then forget about the 450 piston. The porting will give far more power and will not wear out. A 468 will be a torque monster if not ported but barely get into the mid 40's. A stock bore stroker with a ported head can break 50hp.

Funny thing is we have better success so far with stock ASSO pistons on the dyno than some of the bigger 450 aftermarket ones.

ANIMALSCANNIBAL

#5 Post by ANIMALSCANNIBAL »

Originally posted by wistech
If money is the issue then forget about the 450 piston. The porting will give far more power and will not wear out.  A 468 will be a torque monster if not ported but barely get into the mid 40's.    A stock bore stroker with a ported head can break 50hp.

Funny thing is we have better success so far with stock ASSO pistons on the dyno than some of the bigger 450 aftermarket ones.

What he said.:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Exodus

#6 Post by Exodus »

Wistech, those pistons you talked about the ASSO pistons, are those the company name or type or what kind of piston are they? And who has them?

Since their so many combinations here to really know whats the big hp producers are, has anyone tried a high comp piston with the porting? I for one am going to have my head ported, but I'd like to have a really good cam and piston combination on stock bore, stock stroke to make the most out of what I got.

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

Asso is the brand name cast into the bottom of the piston. Its a european company. ATK and brad oakley have tons of them for cheap.Its the piston that replaced the wisecos that had the blowby problems on the early motors. They have longer skirts and dont fold in like the wisecos. Perfect for a stroker engine. If Timbo does the crank you can have them cut to any comp ratio you like. I dont think that is an option for a falicon crank though.

Exodus

#8 Post by Exodus »

So if I'm biulding on stock bore and stock stroke with a port job and possibly some FX400 cams, would that piston be a good one to use? Or should I look for a wiseco or JE, if they ever get one done?

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

Cams dont matter fx400 or 03 they both work great. Id still go with the asso piston. Mydreamride pulled 45 hp with that setup. It just didnt have the stroker torque.
We keep coming back to using stock parts . The aftermarket stuff is one letdown after another.

chigger81

#10 Post by chigger81 »

Im running a timbo stroker with stock piston (bought it from wistech, but I dunno what brand), fx cams, a velocity stack, a little port work, pipe, and mc1000 ecu. Crazy power! sad.gif I love it, but Ive never ridden a stock dale before, so as for comparing to another, cant help ya there.