My dale vs. my YFZ

440rider

My dale vs. my YFZ

#1 Post by 440rider »

As show in the pic attached the dale is out front....

Need some help from those who also have yfz's.....

I just got a yfz and have been reading up on engine performance mods and just put on a full sparks system, JD jet kit with 170 main jet and 45 pilot, kn intake no airbox lid, zip ty fuel screw, tps block off, motor head plug....

...but still isnt doing it for me...My cannondale blaze (wiseco piston kit, full hmf system, velocity stack kit, stock blaze mapping) has arm ripping throttle response and just flies compared to my 04 YFZ piped jetted etc. I was planning for this thing to move and use the dale as my back-up bike...My wife rides the new YFZ ....I NEED HELP...

I read that #35 leak jets (not sure what that is or where it is just heard it give more throttle response) and boyesen quick shot are the things to get to simulate Fuel inj. Can I use both of these or is it a one or the other type thing? I race harescramblers and do only XC riding and rather not adjust cams or mess with timing. I need all the low mid i can get but I want the throttle response to go with it. Any input would be great!!!!!!!!

440rider

#2 Post by 440rider »

aroracer72

#3 Post by aroracer72 »

Heres a couple things you can do to improve bottom end.

Get a smaller Bore Carb, preferrably a Edelbrock, because they alone improve all around performance and throttle response, and the smaller bore improves bottom end also. Then get teh Cam mod, which is cheap even to have a dealer do it, and my friend told me it makes a big difference. Then the quickshot cover is a good thing(if you dont get an edelbrock) and makes a slgiht difference, but nothing extremel major. Then after this stuff, only stuff thats left is high compression(race gas), porting, and thats about it.

But depending on how much you have, get teh cam mod no matter what, and if you dont wish tog et an edelobrock, get the quickshot cover for your carb.
CHAD

440rider

#4 Post by 440rider »

tks for the tips...now with the cam mod you drop a tooth to 13 and pick up the yz timing but I heard the bike is much harder to start than stock. I'll check into the edlebrock carb (can i use the same jetting with that or not?) Tks

I'm debating between the #35 leak or the boyesen quick shot..$8.00 or $80

aroracer72

#5 Post by aroracer72 »

My friend has had the cam mod for two months, and said thers no difference he can tell.

Also edelbrocks use different designs, they work wierd, but theyre much easier to tune and adjsut, so all youd need to do is read the manual and adjsut accordingly.

And throw your money for the quickshot into a savings for an edelbrock, for 80 dollars the quickshot cover doesnt make enough difference. But a cam mod and edelbrock youd feel teh difference BIG time.
CHAD

remember, get a 1-2mm smaller carb, NOT bigger. Smaller is more bottom end, bigger is mroe wide open.

haydug

#6 Post by haydug »

Do the YZ timing first, then pro-flow air filter setup, or look into the new fuel customs intake kit.
As for the quickshot, it is not designed to "improve" performance, rather to eliminate the "bogging" from hard landings. I talked with Eveyend Boyesen at Loretta Lynn's this year, and he went into a 20 minute explanation with me. After losing me on about the 5 minute mark, I sat and listened trying to pick up what exactly he was talking about. Then his rep who was standing beside him started laughing and said, "let me explain it in english", basically the fuel will "foam" when being sloshed around, like in an mx situation, then when you whack the throttle, you may get a shot of foam instead of actual fuel, causing the "bog" that you experiece. His pump cover is designed to keep the fuel from foaming and you then get fuel when you want, instead of the hesitation from foam.

Another simple yet effective thing is to "time" your accellerator pump spray. I think it like 2-3 seconds from the factory, I turn my down to 3/4 of a second.

440rider

#7 Post by 440rider »

doug,
does the yz timing (13 instead of 14) give you a loss in bottom end? I ride XC and want stronger pull like the dale has when climbing hill out of corners etc. I have heard with the cam mod you loose bottom end and it's meant for the mx'er not for gncc racing. Any input on this?
Any experience with the #35 leak jet?

haydug

#8 Post by haydug »

No experience with the leak jet, looked into it once, but never seen it as a nessesity. I do like the JD jetting needle however. I never felt any loss of bottom with the cam mod, still very easy to start, etc. I really know of "0" negatives of the cam mod

kdeal

#9 Post by kdeal »

Doug,

Sell him a big bore & stroker crank!!!!

The sky is the limit.......:deal:

It's a shame that we are trying to make the Jap bikes go as fast as an American made one going on a 5 year old design......

440rider

#10 Post by 440rider »

big bore and stroker crank....to get this bike to pull like a dale it may need it..I'll take it doug but bill the other guy! Tks for all the input ya'll.