Part it out or Repair then sell

fourwhls

Part it out or Repair then sell

#1 Post by fourwhls »

A good friend's Dale took a big dump this week.

He has a '02 Moto. The motor lost oil pressure some how or another and basically wasted the motor.

He is pretty much over it and ready to move on. Here's the big question. He obviously wants to get as much as he can out of it, he paid 12,500 for it.

Should he just part it out piece by piece or pick up a used motor to get it back rolling and sell it as a complete bike?

I know a few of you are parting out bikes right now. I am just wondering if you are making out doing this.

jcv440

#2 Post by jcv440 »

IF it was me, I'd put a new motor in it. Call 814-796-2066. Ask for Jim, and tell him Vito told you about the motor he's selling. Jim will take care of ya.

Vito

LapTraffic

#3 Post by LapTraffic »

there's definitely more value in parting it out over buying a motor and trying to sell a running bike. But both of these are worse than fixing it and continuing to ride it.

The bikes are considerably undervalued right now. It's like selling a stock when it's very low. You're gonna lose big.

Motoman440

#4 Post by Motoman440 »

I know when I sold mine that I really took it up the a**!!!!! My problem was there wasn't the parts available I needed to complete the engine work such as head gaskets and top cap gaskets. Nobody had any in stock or was making them and I checked with everyone available as did my dealer. I just said *uck it, make me an offer and she was sold. I didn't owe money on mine and was willing to take the loss and put what money I did get out of it into another quad I had bought. Be careful on your decision and do whats best for YOU and your financial position.