much to my suprise

jacobw

much to my suprise

#1 Post by jacobw »

no corrosion on mag cover at all and I have been using the green coolant for 2 years I will post pics soon:D My brother had one that was the same way no corrosion either!!!biggrin.gif

MyCannibal

#2 Post by MyCannibal »

hopefully mine is the same way jake....mine is going on four years and im scared to look....you think i woulda had problems by now....

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

I found on on a motor that had just a tiny bit by the upper right hand bolt hole. I powdercoated a cover with two layers of coating and it ran with the green stuff for a year before switching to evans and it was still like new. That doesnt make up for the dozens of corroded one though .LOL

MichiganMXer722

#4 Post by MichiganMXer722 »

I to have a mag cover with 3 years of the green stuffing running through it. Never had it off but i'll fix it when it leaks!

MyCannibal

#5 Post by MyCannibal »

im glad to see im not the only one out there with mag valve cover and running the green stuff still....thanks for making me feel better guys!:clap:

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

The ones that I have seen eaten all the way through leaked coolant into the engine. you might not ever get an external leak . And if that happens its going to be bad news for all internal parts. Plus it will be overheating . Cripes a bottle of Evans is just $25.

MyCannibal

#7 Post by MyCannibal »

already got a gallon of evans....can i just drain it out and replace?...whats the process....and im not overheating yet because my status lights would indicate that right?....oh i forgot....i never get to ride my quad ( wife and two kids )so i wouldnt know....anyways wistech gimme the break down on replacing with evans.....might do that tommorrow....thanks.

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

Just drain all your old coolant even taking hoses off.Then just add the evans and run it till good and hot(fan on) with the bottle cap off to steam off any water left in system.Fill the bottle about a 1/2" below line to allow for expansion.

MyCannibal

#9 Post by MyCannibal »

thanks 27...will do tommorrow.

f15046

#10 Post by f15046 »

I bought my 2002 speed from a guy in Kentucky brought it home and rode it for about an hour that night when it started spewing grimy liquid all over the front end found out the next day that the coolant had gotten into the oil causing it to overfill and spew out of the air filter. the culprit was the valve cover corroded right behind the impeller causing a small pinhole leading to the inside part of the motor where the cams are. The wierd part is that the pinhole was so small that you could ride the bike around for short periods of time without the coolant leaking into the oil. It wouldonly do it when the motor really heated up causing there to be extra pressure in the coolant sysem forcing it into the oil. I replaced the mag cover with an aluminum cover and everything works great.