Opened the motor... LOOK WHAT I FOUND!!

TucsonCannibal

#1 Post by TucsonCannibal »

Ok, decided to pull the motor and clean it because of the missing site glass and sand inside, and found this when I pulled the side cover off. This bolt was loose the first time I opened it, so I put a good amount of locktite on it and it still came loose. What would cause the needle bearing on this timing gear to get hot enough to discolor the gear and mount?

Is there somthing that should feed oil to these bearings? The needle bearing looks and feels fine, but the gear got pretty hot.

Please help, still new to these machines... I don't want to have to take this apart again any time soon.

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (TucsonCannibal @ Apr 5 2006, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, decided to pull the motor and clean it because of the missing site glass and sand inside, and found this when I pulled the side cover off. This bolt was loose the first time I opened it, so I put a good amount of locktite on it and it still came loose. What would cause the needle bearing on this timing gear to get hot enough to discolor the gear and mount?

Is there somthing that should feed oil to these bearings? The needle bearing looks and feels fine, but the gear got pretty hot.
Please help, still new to these machines... I don't want to have to take this apart again any time soon.

Thats splash lubed by the timing chain which is lubed by the little squirters from the tranny oil pump. Check the pump gears and make sure the tube and squirter are clear. They dont use massive amounts of locktite on the bolts that hold the timing gear mounts on because they are exoped on the inside to the gear oil passages.

TucsonCannibal

#3 Post by TucsonCannibal »

They are what on the inside of the gear oil passages?