Rode some MX yesterday...I Suck!

Pro400EXC

#1 Post by Pro400EXC »

Well for starters...it doesn't help that I haven't rode hard in about 1 1/2 yrs.

so I could barley hold on...For soemreason I was getting arm pump like a mofo..I was in fear of my arms coming off the bars big time..

also..I have a major problem w/ coners...I can't do it..I always 2 wheel..

and whenever I come into a corner right after a jump..I almost shoot off the berm because I can't downshift and hit the brakes all at once...Its like i am retarded.

And whenever I am in the air I like freeze....

I need to loosen up or soemthing..

anyone have any tips or tricks to help me out...cause i love MX....i just suck at it...

also...any tips or tricks for arm pump? cause i get it BAD..i mean REAL BAD..that may be my MX problem

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Just keep riding it will get better.Breathing is a good thing to concentrate on also.Amazing in a race how often a person can forget to breath!

theJeStEr1340

#3 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

Ok, we will start with arm pump - Do you have a steering stabilizer? If not - Get one ($160 from denton and worth ever penny). Next, try adjusting your bars a little bit. I like the CR double high, but a different bend of bars may work better.

Jumping- This just takes practice, start on somethign you are comfortable and hit it over and over again. Try once you are comfortable with it start to move in the air, turn the handlebars, lean a little bit, try to tilt the quad a little, then get it back. Just practice moving the quad around. It is amazing how much this helps loosen your grip and calm you down. Also practice pulling in the clutch while in the air, just pull it in and hold it till before you jump, this will help later on when you need to brake check to get the front end down.

Cornering- Get off the side of the bike, the seat is for decoration, sit next to it down near the nerf bar and lean forward over the handlebar when entering and then lean back towards the rear wheels and get back on the seat when coming out. What size tires are you running? 18's on the rear and 20's on the front will make a huge difference. Set your ride height should be around 8 inches (I think). Next step is wideining, hit up brad at Blackwidow for a moto axle and get some a-arms. You cna stick with std shokcs if that is what you have, can probably go out to +2 without worrying about a rev-valve (it will help to re-valve, but can wait if money is tight). Do not worry about clutchign in a corner yet, just downshift and roll into it until you get the basics. When you are comfortable with cornering hold the gas longer and work on downshifting and breaking in the corner.

Pro400EXC

#4 Post by Pro400EXC »

well right now I am runnin woods set-up.

22xc's frnt 20 XCR's rear.

I would like to get some 20/18 set-up...and maybe +1 arms...so I can run both..woods/mx...I have an axle.

Thanks for the tips...I feel comfortable bar wise...How about those grip things you squeeze? do they help w/ arm pump?

I get arm pump bad..whenever I ride hard..like balls to the walls...I get arm pump..woods/mx/anything...my arms lock up and make it difficult to hang on.

but thank you for the tips fella's

theJeStEr1340

#5 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

Even if your bars feel comfortable, try moving them just a little bit. And I like Oury Grips, they are big and squicky, but I have big hands.

Pro400EXC

#6 Post by Pro400EXC »

those are the ones i use.

440EX4ME

#7 Post by 440EX4ME »

I am not the pro on most of the answers your looking for, but forget about everything for a sec and consider something.

No matter what your looking to do you will do better at it if you take the time and preparre mentally. Sure your going to need to practice over and over etc, but thats fine tuning your skills and finding your limits so you can advance them etc, but when your starting out at it try and have the mechanics figured out before hand, and know them like second nature.

I am not saying anything about what you know or not, but that before you can master something new like say cornering it will help immensely if you know before hand exactly what to expect, and what will need to be done. That way you can review what is going wrong, compare it to what was supposed to be happening, and then figure what you need to change.

If you dont know how to corner, or jump or whatever its going to be tough to figure why its not working right.

Plus it will deffinately help the "retard" feeling.

As far as that arm pump goes there are so many threads around the net on this I couldnt count them all, but it seems that from reading between the lines, and from what I have found from first hand experience that there are some things that work better than others. Excluding any previous injuries etc you can really work on this problem, but from what I have found the largest thing that works takes up the most time, and that putting in the hours riding. I am sure most everyone here has had those really painfull first couple rides of the season where the forearms went dead, and their grip was almost gone, but later on it seems to be greatly reduced. I think were asking a lot of our arm muscles all at once after a long winter, and they really need to work up to the abuse were going to put them thru.

You can also look into the muscle strengthening stuff like squeezing a rubber ball etc, and I have found that just being in better shape and having increased stamina helps somehow (I figure by the added oxygen in the blood etc) and what you eat and drink before riding can make a difference too. I know there are all different kinds of ideas on nutrition, but to put it very simply I have found that stocking up on carbs in the morning along with plenty of water can really make a difference in the later part of the day.

Another thing that I have found to really help is pacing yourself better. I know thats not always an option, and it could be a combo of reduced overall fatigue too, but if you can work on your grip and all the other things listed etc you should also be able to increase the level of your pace without causing your arms to feel like they could just fall off.

Hope that helps, and I didnt leave too much out.

badvox

#8 Post by badvox »

On what Jester was saying about the bars...

I am a beginner and I probably suck worse than you do. A few of us were at the track on Sunday and Mr Maz and bphillman helped me set my quad up way better. First thing we did was get my bars at a better angle. Then we put my dampner on.

Im way better in corners now because of the bar setup allowing me to get a better lean. I was actually shocked at what a difference the bar angle did for that. It really helps you get in better position.

I was setup for desert before so the bars were leaned back.

The difference I felt when the dampner went on was where in my arms I could feel the burn. It went from my forearms to my triceps and biceps. So I think this is all going to help me out alot.

Nice write up jester!!

GDITheman

#9 Post by GDITheman »

when we rode at red bud a few weeks ago i had all the same problems except cornering. that was one of the few things i did well.

the arm pump wasn't as bad as i became more confortable with the track. the more i relaxed, the longer i could ride. as the day wore on the track was more ripped up and harder to ride. i think a stabilizer would help with the rutted track.

theJeStEr1340

#10 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

Thanks Vox, I never had anyone to teach me, so I like to pass on the information I have learned. I wish there was someone close to help with my suspension. I have these wonderful Axis and MX tech rear and they seem a little stiff in some places, but a little soft in others.