chain and sproket

iWantaTurbo

#1 Post by iWantaTurbo »

my dale needs a chain and sproket real bad ever other tooth on the back one is gone? what made it do that?

where is the cheapest to get a chain and sprokets or a kit? should i go to steal will it last longer?

Derno24

#2 Post by Derno24 »

Well the rear sprocket stripping out could be a loose chain or just wearing out. I have done it before. I also had way too much time on that sprocket so I got my moneys worth.

Steel will last longer than aluminum so I would go that direction. I would check with www.blackwidowatv about the sprocket and chain thing.

CannondaleRider

#3 Post by CannondaleRider »

It will be more expensive, but if you can scrounge up the coin for it, get a Sidewinder Titanium Rear Sprocket, it will last a VERY long time.

Also, chain wise, a Regina 520 Quad Chain will treat you very well also.

Psychosis

#4 Post by Psychosis »

****, on chains/sprockets, if you do your work on them, any of them are fine. I ran an RK non o-ring chain all last season w/out a single problem. Didn't break until the end of the year when riding around for fun.

I've always went the cheap route on sprockets as well. I buy steel fronts of course but never use anything but aluminum rears. I used a Sunstar alum rear all last season and am still using currently w/little wear. Just lube the chain VERY often and make sure it's properly adjusted and you'll be fine.

banzairx7

#5 Post by banzairx7 »

rocky mountain atv has some dirt cheap sprockets-

$10 rear
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDet...avType=closeout

$8 front
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDet...24&navType=type

Get the 14 tooth front. It well help your chain buffer life a lot.

CannondaleRider

#6 Post by CannondaleRider »

Psychosis....why go cheap on sprockets and chains...when you have to replace them.

About the chain not breaking until after the year was over, well, it shouldn't break at all if it's properly maintained, unless you tag a rock or something of that sort.

On the sprocket, with aluminum, you WILL have to replace it, whether its in 6 months, or a year, you will have to buy another one. Instead, double your money, buy a Titanium sprocket, and you shouldn't have to replace it ever again(again, unless a fluke scenario happens)

Obviously, a chain will where out no matter what, but a 520 quad chain will last a **** of a lot longer then a non o-ring chain.

just my 2 cents

Psychosis

#7 Post by Psychosis »

I see your point but my reasons are simple. I can get a set of front/rear sprockets for about $15 from my dealer made by Sunstar and I got two chains from RK last year for free so not much of a decision. If I was buying I'd probably consider spending the extra money, just haven't bothered.

I also change my gearing too much for that. I switch between 14-15 front and 36, 38, and 40 rears, so it's easier. I replaced one chain last year and bought a new 14 and 36 sprocket b/c I use them the most. They still have life left, but not on the racer.