What's the most reliable engine setup?

GDITheman

#1 Post by GDITheman »

I'm considering rebuilding my engine as a proactive approach to what may come.

If I did, what is the most proven engine setup for reliability? I don't need all out HP or speed. The dales do well in any config. I just want to have this engine run for a long time on agressive trail rides and the twice a year track day.

I'm not trying to start any trouble or arguments or heated debates. My only agenda is to know what the most reliable setup is.

chigger81

#2 Post by chigger81 »

QUOTE (GDITheman @ Oct 2 2006, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm considering rebuilding my engine as a proactive approach to what may come.

If I did, what is the most proven engine setup for reliability? I don't need all out HP or speed. The dales do well in any config. I just want to have this engine run for a long time on agressive trail rides and the twice a year track day.

I'm not trying to start any trouble or arguments or heated debates. My only agenda is to know what the most reliable setup is.

updates, updates, updates. I think a new crank with stock asso piston is considered pretty reliable. Falicon or timbo. I have a stock bore timbo stroker with about every update I had heard of when it was built. Havent had a problem yet. I ride hard in tight trails and ocasionaly mx. Plenty of power.

Happyboy

#3 Post by Happyboy »

Yep, I love the stroker with stock bore. Stock top end, just updated to the teeth. Glad to hear your quad is still kicking it Chigger, always good to hear these things haven't been parted out. biggrin.gif

hawksd1

#4 Post by hawksd1 »

Id like to hear what Dave thinks about reliability also... Ive come to really like his line of thought on these machines. Its almost like all of his thoughts are constantly on the dales, hes got some real good ideas. Ill bet hes got some good input as far as reliability

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

I like stock updated everything with Asso piston,valvecover,new stock valvetrain,speced bucket bores,known good used cams,Z400ed crank and new stock mainbearings with a stockmap and stock airbox along with gutted or the Canniboomer disconnects.Would definitly be reliable but would more than likely get spanked by the new 450's with just a pipe.So power enhancers for me are a must.With each hp reliability probably goes down a little bit but worth it.

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

Id also add hardness checked camshafts,shimmed valve springs,fx400(early kibblewhite) valves. HMF exhaust for durabilty or reworked toaster exhaust.
Of course without power enhancements it wont be much fun to ride against the more powerfull quads .
Although just a proper head port job on a stock engine can at least match the jap quads without sacrificing reliabilty.

parks9

#7 Post by parks9 »

they said it all ^^^^^

GDITheman

#8 Post by GDITheman »

i'll stick with my falicon crank. just need to get the correct length rod. i'll probably stay with a 468 setup. i know mine is on the bottom of the hp scale compared to other 468's, but it still walks away from all my buddies when i don't spin too much.

GDITheman

#9 Post by GDITheman »

i do have the stock liner, piston, valves and springs i could put back in. i just need the crank corrected. that would be my cheapest option if it's considered reliable. have there been any issues with the falicons other than the original short rods?