Odyssey Battery

iceracer17

#1 Post by iceracer17 »

Has anyone tried these dry cell batteries? I remember seeing them at the dealer show last year and a few were talking about maybe getting one.
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc310.htm

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

I think Canniboomer uses them.

Canniboomer

#3 Post by Canniboomer »

Yep $99, in stock.
For a mounting kit for Cannondale that's another $15....The battery is a Metal-jacketed case PC545MJ, and you don't use the stock battery tray,.. Instead, we are cross-strapping these into place with 2 long SS band clamps thru the frame holes and down around the cradle. Aluminum corner guards stick to the upper battery corners for protection, and to hold the strap spacing. Stick-on rubber strips are used underneath to pad the battery case against the cradle -- it mounts very rigid, and no bolting is needed. The two top cradle bolts have to be trimmed 1/8" or so to clear, but they are plenty long enough. Note the positive and negative sides are reversed with this battery, but there is still room for the left-side positive -- you can install either way. This battery also has senstive charging requirements, and we use the Optimate III only, to avoid over-doing the charge.

Also note, that we have only installed this on quads that have a relocated fuel regulator or fuel pump, since either of those positions have been used to re-mount the Starter solenoid.

wayneschofield

#4 Post by wayneschofield »

Does anyone know what the stock battery weighs? I'm sure they'll be more than 6lb...

Canniboomer

#5 Post by Canniboomer »

....good point. The stock battery is 6lb 10 oz. Here are some some comparisons:
YUASA YTZ14S 8 lbs 4 oz
Odyssey 545MJ 12lb 10 oz -- yep it's a heavy brute, and maybe only a pound is gained back after installing without the stock tray and hold-down.
Somebody might consider to try that Odyssey PC310 instead. It's only 6 lbs, and still packs more cranking punch than the stocker -- and it would fit quite easily into the stock tray..... hmmn maybe edit that -- the smaller 310 is priced HIGHER than the 545MJ or YTZ14S!

yamadjs08

#6 Post by yamadjs08 »

I've been running a YTZ14S for a while and its a much much better battery than stock. I can't remember numbers right now, but do these Odysseys have even more cranking amps than that?

Also, I'm pretty sure I'd rip those hose clamps right off with the clamping end on the bottom of the quad...

Canniboomer

#7 Post by Canniboomer »

The larger Odyssey is a bit more power and has huge short-burst CCA, but the favored YTZ14S can
hardly be beat (yet) for the size and weight. I would agree those clamp heads can be oriented differently, like tucking up and away from the skidpath, or not even routing the bands underneath. We haven't broke a band yet, but I guess we mostly belly on sand and slime out here! tongue.gif

thedeatons

#8 Post by thedeatons »

There are three of us in our group running PC310s, and they work great! Easy as a 9 to install, and does everything that my previous 12 did. My PC310 actually went dead after my quad sat for one month with the relay out (I didn't even know it was gone?!), it actually discharged to .5V. I read the instructions on how to charge them from there website, which was with 10Amps overnight, then let it sit for a few hours, then put the Vector smart charger on it, and it took the charge. Now it is back up to just undeer 13V! Talk about a versatile battery! If you do not want to modify, just pick up a 310... You will like it....