03 Frame? or 04 Frame?

mxstar04

#1 Post by mxstar04 »

Can someone help me out here? Im a little bit clueless. I just got a frame Friday evening that i was told was an 04 Prototype Frame...I have no complaints with the frame at all... i just noticed a few things different about it from our old Dale frame....This frame only has one oil drain on the left hand side down by the swingarm bolt area...and the wholes where the Through-frame pro peg nerfs would go are completely closed off. Also it has no VIN Number anywhere on the frame ( dont really need one anyways as we dont need it registered or anything )... Its gotta few number etched in it... But there is no actual VIN on it anywhere....Can anyone enlighten me on which year they brought these frames out?... also the front aarm mounts are narrower ( moved closer together )... so yea... anyone know anything about these frames?

ozarkdaler

#2 Post by ozarkdaler »

That sounds exactly like my 02 frame on my speed. unsure.gif

CannondaleRider

#3 Post by CannondaleRider »

Sounds like an early FX frame to me.

Do the welds have a smooth look, or a BEAUTIFUL bead look?

Are you sure it has only one frame drain? Not sure how it would work with only one.

mxstar04

#4 Post by mxstar04 »

Yes it only has one drain and the Welds are absolutely Beautiful....Ive never seen a person lay a Tig Bead as good as all these are... looks like perfectly stacked dimes...Ill get some pics up ina couple days after i finish up cleaning up the frame ( its dirty.. good example of WHY You should always clean ur stuff and use PAM when ur anywhere near mud... SOS Pads w/ soap from the grocery store are my best friend for cleaning these frames...LOL )

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

I will bet it is a unfinished 03frame.The 04's all had billet front lower.

mxstar04

#6 Post by mxstar04 »

Not the best pic in teh world but it shows u the only one drain it has on the left hand side...and somewhat of how nice looking the welds are...the camera phone i used did its best...lol

And yes i was told by the guy i got it off of that it was an unfinished 03 or 04 Prototype he wasnt sure which... i just know its completely different than the other frames ive seen...

ozarkdaler

#7 Post by ozarkdaler »

That looks just like the 02/03 frame to me. Pretty Pretty welds.lol Just like mine. My frame is an 02 and it is exactly like that one so is mine a late 02 maybe? (I do not mean to steal your thread) That is my thoughts

mxstar04

#8 Post by mxstar04 »

Its cool man.. im just getting opinions... as there is no way to tell exactly what year this frame is as there is no VIN on it...there is a few numbers etched into it tho...

ozarkdaler

#9 Post by ozarkdaler »

From the way C27 describes the 04 frame I would safely say that one is an 03 or earlier.

Canniboomer

#10 Post by Canniboomer »

It seems you have an unfinished 2001 FX400 frame. The older cast upper spar miters, and the narrower A-arm flanges are combined evidence of that. Does it have the tabs added yet for the A-frame headlight brackets? If it does, then it can't be a protoype carcass intended for 2004 plastic.