Fair price for my 505?

speed_demon

#1 Post by speed_demon »

I'm still sorting things out if I want to part out or sell it as whole. Just not sure what a fair price would be for the engine, its been ported & polished by Timbo, bored throttle body, Stage 8, aluminum cam cover & impellar, custom stator cover & lots of powder coating. Top end is still good, not sure of what let go below. So what's it worth?

Sand_Blaster

#2 Post by Sand_Blaster »

if you could hang on to the whole quad for a few more months I could take that off your hands smile.gif

UpsMan

#3 Post by UpsMan »

Its probably not worth much. It is hard to even give away parts for these things.

acarli3

#4 Post by acarli3 »

It's only worth what someone is willing to pay. Many quads sit in garages because owners want more than any buyer is willing to pay. All the while, the quad depreciates more. Good luck with the sale.

NorCalRacer

#5 Post by NorCalRacer »

QUOTE (acarli3 @ Mar 24 2007, 12:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's only worth what someone is willing to pay. Many quads sit in garages because owners want more than any buyer is willing to pay. All the while, the quad depreciates more. Good luck with the sale.

True, but I definitely wouldn't lowball myself, especially to compromise because of thieves. People forget how rare these machines are, and clean parts will always hold value. Believe it or not, I could have sold my quad for $7000 easily last summer, I have the only one in the area. I have a feeling with these new FI quads out, cannondales value will skyrocket. Look at the "new" kfx450 compared to an old (still more advanced) cannondale. I have a hard time seeing our machines depreciating any more with the rarity. Remember, C-Dales are only cheap because the panickers lowballed themselves. I may get some guff for this, but I believe there is still value in our machines and I think they could go up, like collector cars. There will only be so many of these things made, and it doesn't look like they're making more. Good luck with whatever you decide.

acarli3

#6 Post by acarli3 »

The word "skyrocket" is relative, I admit, but not a word I would use when determing near term values of our cannondales. cars and motorcycles are technically not considered collectors items until the value has exceeded it's original value (adjusted for inflation) due to strong demand for a select few remaining......this more often than not takes decades to occur and ususally because only a very few of these remain in good to mint condition. There are still 1000's of cannondales, so they are not rare, and lots of people are not clammering to get cannondales driving up the price. Prices have reamained relatively flat the past year; that is encouraging after a few years of spiraling values. We're still even seeing some new machines here and there pop up for sale.....those will be the collectors items 20-30 years down the road. I'm not considering my machine a collectors item. I bought it to ride. When it goes, i'll probably move on if the cost of repairs don't justify the cost and headache of just buying a new quad. I'm an enthusiast....not a collector. When that happens, perhaps one of you "collectors" will take the salvagable parts off my hands.

NorCalRacer

#7 Post by NorCalRacer »

QUOTE (acarli3 @ Mar 27 2007, 12:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The word "skyrocket" is relative, I admit, but not a word I would use when determing near term values of our cannondales. cars and motorcycles are technically not considered collectors items until the value has exceeded it's original value (adjusted for inflation) due to strong demand for a select few remaining......this more often than not takes decades to occur and ususally because only a very few of these remain in good to mint condition. There are still 1000's of cannondales, so they are not rare, and lots of people are not clammering to get cannondales driving up the price. Prices have reamained relatively flat the past year; that is encouraging after a few years of spiraling values. We're still even seeing some new machines here and there pop up for sale.....those will be the collectors items 20-30 years down the road. I'm not considering my machine a collectors item. I bought it to ride. When it goes, i'll probably move on if the cost of repairs don't justify the cost and headache of just buying a new quad. I'm an enthusiast....not a collector. When that happens, perhaps one of you "collectors" will take the salvagable parts off my hands.

I wasn't speaking of "collector" value. It would take $8000 or more to get a quad even comparable to a used cannondale. Thousands made aren't a whole lot either. That could be as little as a hundred a state. I know that I could sell my quad for more than I paid for it new, and I wouldn't compromise for less. I've been offered 7000 for it, and I got it for 6900 out the door. I could probably get 7500 if I wanted, but I guess quads are worth more in my neck of the woods. All I have to do is take it to the local stomping grounds and everyone wants to know about it. As far as the actual value goes, they're worth what people are willing to pay. I bet if everybody didn't lowball themselves, people would be willing to pay a little more. Just my opinion, maybe quads really are worth more in CA. My neighbor just got $3000 for an old,abused, ugly 250ex biggrin.gif

acarli3

#8 Post by acarli3 »

I don't think anyone is lowballing themselves. They try to get more, they are just not able to find buyers at that price point. If you can get $7500 for a used cdale, I'd be buying everyones quads for the $3500 range thay are in right now and turn around and sell them there where you are at! I haven't seen a quad go for that price range since cdale went bankrupt.

UpsMan

#9 Post by UpsMan »

Who is getting $3500? Thats pretty high.

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

UPS if you pull ten quad lengths against the other brands on holeshot and walk away with race this year like you should just wait and see how much interest you will get in your quad.Problem with that is I bet you wont want to sell it.I have also shot a crazy price out to a few people who actually were dead serious on buying.Didnt do it though.Some things $ cant buy.