Need some help on pipes, gas tanks. etc

383astro

#1 Post by 383astro »

I am fairly new to the cdale and have a buttload of parts that I need to figure out what they are. I need to know the difference between headpipes and silencers and gas tanks and any other parts that changed year to year that may be better than the other. I would like some pics of stock pipes and silencers so I can figure out what I have. Dont go to too much trouble, just any pics or part numbers you may have lying around. Thanks

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (383astro @ Mar 28 2007, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am fairly new to the cdale and have a buttload of parts that I need to figure out what they are. I need to know the difference between headpipes and silencers and gas tanks and any other parts that changed year to year that may be better than the other. I would like some pics of stock pipes and silencers so I can figure out what I have. Dont go to too much trouble, just any pics or part numbers you may have lying around. Thanks

Gas tanks aren't as big an issue any more as Canniboomer can convert either one for you to a more reliable set-up. But, for the record, the '02 style gas tanks have one fuel fitting in the back of the tank and one up front. Where as the '03 style tank has both fittings in the front of the tank and has an internal line to reach the lowest parts of the tank.

Exhausts have a few more options. The '02 headpipe is the shortest of all the quad headpipes and points towards the left side of the bike when mounted to the motor and in the bike. The muffler is the big round can made by FMF, but is not the Ti muffler. The '03 headpipe is a little shinier and is longer as the pipe makes a turn towards the back of the bike. The muffler is the square polished stainlees steel "toaster" muffler. The third and final exhaust is the Ti exhaust system made by FMF that was used on the Blaze & Moto models only. The headpipe is the lightest of the bunch and the longest. The outlet also points towards the back of the bike, but it has a much larger outlet diameter. The Ti muffler is a small diameter round can with a aluminum end cap and a screen in the end of the muffler. You may also run into another head pipe floating around made by HMF and it is a copy of the '02 style headpipe. It has a better transition and the two pipes go longer before they connnect together, but the pipe is interchangable with the '02 as far as fit to the mufflers.

Which one is better? By far the FMF Ti exhaust will outperform all the other set-ups. It uses bigger tubing and the two pipes are longer then any of the others and the outlet size is huge! The muffler is light and less restrictive. One problem, it's loud! They make a quiet core, but when installed you lose a couple of HP. The second choice is tough, but here are the facts... The '02 headpipe is the most common because it fits just about every aftermarket muffler made for the Cannondale. The '03 pipe is a better pipe in my opinion but very few aftermarket mufflers were made for this pipe. But the toaster muffler can be gutted to make a few extra HP as well. The stock '02 muffler is a pig and weighs a ton! So either go with the full '03 stock set-up or an '02 headpipe with a good aftermarket muffler (HMF being the most common).

Hope this helps.

zacke22

#3 Post by zacke22 »

whats weird is...i have an 02 speed that has both gas fittings up at the front...so im assuming i have a late 02 speed, if the gas fittings are both up front?

MyCannibal

#4 Post by MyCannibal »

never realized my stock can was an FMF...I have an early 02...Cannibal that is.

kdeal

#5 Post by kdeal »

Here are the three pipes. The '02 style is actually a HMF head pipe. The one on the left is an FMF Ti pipe, see the difference in the over all length, length of primary pipes before they come together and the outlet diameter? The middle one is the '03 head pipe. Notice how it exits towards the rear of the bike instead of at an angle towards the side like the one on the right? The one on the right is an HMF head pipe in the '02 configuration. Only improvement here over stock is the primary tube length is better (longer) before it reaches the collector.

2003 style tank with up front fittings.

speed 450mx

#6 Post by speed 450mx »

Dont foget the black widow pipe

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

Here is Blackwidow-vs-Ti

Here is another view of 03pipe-vs-02pipe

383astro

#8 Post by 383astro »

Thanks for all the details and pics. You guys are great. I was hoping for a treasure chest of pipes but sounds like a got a bunch of useless stuff (to me anyway). I am going to put a list together and put it in the for sale section in a few days. See if anybody needs any of it. Thanks again