Can-Am DS450...

Psychosis

#11 Post by Psychosis »

I think what is catching the attention is the fact that it has the Can-Am name. Yeah, it might have the name, but the company's management has changed greatly since the glory days in the bike racing scene. It's not the same people, just new management trying to rekindle the name and people who know about it, basically hoping to get people to jump onboard.

In the utility world they have some impressive machines though. I've ridden all the big bores for the most part and the Outlanders were just so much more plush and more on tap power. If they put the same design into a sport quad then it could be a powerhouse in the racing scene. The DS650 was built more for desert and dune riders so you can't compare that.

But one thing to think is if the Can-Am name will stand up on this quad. I know when ATK got back into the scene that a lot of people in rider clubs who used to race the 406's got super hyped. After seeing the result though they all just passed and forgot about them over the last couple years. A good family friend of mine used to race for "factory" ATK in enduros years back and was a national champion on the 406 machine. He was going crazy when he saw ATK bought Cannondale parts and such but now couldn't care less b/c of the direction they went. He still rides his 406 in local events and for fun btw.

yamadjs08

#12 Post by yamadjs08 »

GDITheman, you make a good point, but I think what everybody is getting so hyped up about is the fact that it seems like Can-Am/BRP has upped their game since they have switched the name. Your right as far as a sport quad they have nothing to offer that is great. But you have to admit that the Renegade is definitely quite a machine for its class. Although it is very similar to the Outlander, it is so different in a way. And I know, most people think its a utility sport quad wannabe, I thought it would be dumb when they first released it, but after riding one and seeing one in person, they are ridiculously cool IMO. If I didn't ride a sport quad and wanted an Automatic 4x4 that was somewhat sporty that was the machine, its truly awesome for what it is. Plus the thing is ridiculously fast for an automatic utility based quad, it would probably beat a stock 450. So I don't know, if they can build a sport quad as bad *** as they built a utility, it will be a good 450. Crowded market? What else could they build for a sport quad? The 450 market is obviously where its at, and its far from crowded in my opinion...

I guess we will all have to wait and see how great it really is...

cannondale27

#13 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes BRP or CanAm is out to make a name for itself for sure.Thier snowmobiles may blow up but everyone has to admit they are the lightest out there and the Rev has changed snowmobiling forever.Only thing with the new company even though it is still in there family is they have begun sending alot of thier manufacturing overseas.

Blasterboy11

#14 Post by Blasterboy11 »

No, i actually ride arctic cats... The doos suck period, way overrated, everyone has em because they want to be like Blair, but Hibbart will smoke all of em, Blair didnt even make it to the finals in the X-Games, lol. Can Am isnt the old Can am, this new stuff sucks eggs..lol

cannondale27

#15 Post by cannondale27 »

Well you cant argue with wieghts and the new Arctic Cats are definitly the heaviest of all the sleds.AC lost alot of buyers because of that.Not to mention the looks of them.You also need to realize that companies do change all the time.Bombadier/CanAm is owned by the original Bombadier family.To deny that the REV and its rider forward positioning didnt change the snowmobiling world for the better is just wrong no matter where your brand loyalties are.

GDITheman

#16 Post by GDITheman »

skidoo definitely started something that needed to happen a long time ago. no doubt. i just wondered if they are a) capable of building a real 450 for competition or cool.gif just trying to use the can am name to sell some lack luster quads.

i think b at this point until i see proof of a.

Blasterboy11

#17 Post by Blasterboy11 »

I ride a sno pro, none of that rider forward crap, i dont even like arctic cats too much, just their kick cash race sleds! And yes, the new sleds are a bit ugly and heavy, but i dont care much, i love my sled. But the old can am dirtbikes were awsome. This stuff is just too gaudy...that renegrades useless though.

CannondaleRider

#18 Post by CannondaleRider »

QUOTE (Blasterboy11 @ May 8 2007, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This stuff is just too gaudy...that renegrades useless though.

Thats all interpretation and opinion. The Renegade is an absolutely awesome machine.....for that market. Just because your not in that market doesn't make it useless.

Same goes for the DS650...everyone thinks they are pointless, and don't give them a chance. But the market that most people find them pointless in is out of the desert. You jump on a DS650 at a 400 mile, rocky, nasty desert race....you will instantly know what an awesome machine it is. It rides like a cadillac in the rough stuff, is almost impossible to stall, and will pull 105....thats right 105 miles per hour. What other production machine can match a DS in desert racing?..... Just because desert racing isn't your thing, doesn't mean that it is useless.....does it?

Whether the DS450 goes to the top of the ranks, or is always trying to keep up with it's competitors....either way, its good for our sport....because that means it's just growing.

My opinion.....if the DS450 does as good in it's intended enviroment, as the DS650 does in it's intended enviroment.....I think it will dominate.

jesshamner

#19 Post by jesshamner »

I for one, love the ds650. It seems to be a rock solid unit and has tons of power. It is a big quad and not suited for the tight trails that I mostly ride on. That is why I never considered owning one. If I could put one to use, most definitely own one.

I haven't rode the renegade but I like it so far. It fills a niche. Its not a huge market, but trail riders have to love a machine like this. Sporty but with 4x4. I always like the Polaris Scrambler too which also fills this niche. They are both great trail machines that do it all...except for handle really well, but they can hold thier own.

cannondale27

#20 Post by cannondale27 »

My brother has had a DS650 for six years now.He had a few issues with carb when stock but that thing is unreal reliable.Lots of tires, brakes and oil thats it.Dang chain and sprockets are still original.That thing has the plushest suspension of any quad out there.Scary handling but I gotta agree for long fast riding as long as the bigness doesnt scare you it is tops.I think Timbo,Wistech and others who have ridden with him will agree they can go with right person on them.