Other 450s

RonDK

#1 Post by RonDK »

I remember a thread a while ago about this but I never really saw an answer (or maybe I don't remember??). So...how do the dales compete with the new guys (the ltr, kfx, etc...) I'm just looking for a generalization...no one has to go in detail or anything. This is just something that has been a blank for me and has been on my mind for a while.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Bone stock they are all really really close.Add a pipe,Airbox,Tuner like almost all guys do and then the new quads are faster than the Cannondale with same mods.Porting and stroker cranks,pistons can really tip the scales in our favor though.Now if you are talking handling ergos and such in my opinion YFZ is best but different people like different things.

RonDK

#3 Post by RonDK »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jun 6 2007, 01:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bone stock they are all really really close.Add a pipe,Airbox,Tuner like almost all guys do and then the new quads are faster than the Cannondale with same mods.Porting and stroker cranks,pistons can really tip the scales in our favor though.Now if you are talking handling ergos and such in my opinion YFZ is best but different people like different things.

Why do the Cannondales take holeshots so much if it's on the weaker side compared to the other bikes? Do you think it is just the rider or what? These bikes are very interesting.

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

I dont see that especially not stock.

yamadjs08

#5 Post by yamadjs08 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jun 6 2007, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly, different people like different things... The yfz is a terrible quad for the woods... Twitchy steering, stiff suspension and to hard of a hit for power. It wears you out fast in the woods, I'm sure its a different story when fully decked out, but even remotely close to stock and they are terrible in the woods...

Also I have had different experiences with racing with piped 450's also... My dale seems to edge them out slightly and I'm just running FMF Ti exhaust. wink.gif

firefighterjosh

#6 Post by firefighterjosh »

My dads Cdale has HMf exhaulst and remapped ECU and 1 tooth up on the front and he has beat CB LTRs and my miled modded banshee. I had T6 pipes, Vforce Reeds, Pistons. the thing ran perfect and we would be side x side and then he would pull on me

2000ex

#7 Post by 2000ex »

I think the reason why they are great holeshot machines is becaue the way these motors develop their power. The power curve compared to some of the other 450's is much broader. Tractable HP is a great thing for mx racing

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

Hey they are all close.I think I said that.But he asked about comparing to the new quads.By that I mean 06 and newer.If you think a Cannondale with just a pipe on is faster or more powerful or even has a better broader power curve I think you are wrong.Holeshots are a skill thing probably a good 80% or more but what I am talking about is a real long run 4th or 5th gear where rider skill doesn't mean a thing.Those new quads with correct gearing and traction are going to pull you.Just look at the numbers and dyno charts.42 or even 45hp doesnt cut it anymore.I am not saying you cant win with less but there is nothing more discouraging to have it pinned and laying down and have some guy go right by there is nothing you can do.So I feel there is no use in making excuses might as well prepare for that.Thats why most of us aren't stopping with simple mods.All the factories stroked them or increased bore size or compression for 06 that was enough to give them a edge.LTR came out already at that level.We just need to keep up with thier game.So far I think we are doing a heck of a job.

jesshamner

#9 Post by jesshamner »

I have to disagree on the LTR comment. I haven't seen any stock ones run with the stock 450r, or yfz. Even with the cherry bomb or whatever its called...it still isn't all that fast. But handling is a different story.

cobradaler

#10 Post by cobradaler »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Jun 6 2007, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have to disagree on the LTR comment. I haven't seen any stock ones run with the stock 450r, or yfz. Even with the cherry bomb or whatever its called...it still isn't all that fast. But handling is a different story.

i agree with jess on the stock ltr comment but out of all the 450,s it has the most potential to be a power house motor. a friend just bought one and stock it is a dog but i rode a moded one and by moded i mean alot more was done than pipe and cherry bomb and it hualed dynoed at 70hp just motor. no nos.