Moving On

jwheat

#11 Post by jwheat »

QUOTE (peterock @ Jul 6 2007, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So let me make sure I got the rules straight for future reference:
I can post updates
I can work on projects
I can't mention ATK even if they help with a project

I thnk you are just reading into the posts what you want. No one says that you can't mention ATK or any help they give you on projects. If they help you, then that might just change the opinion that alot of people have of them. The whole problem is you recommending them to new members to get work done instead of suggesting one of the site sponsors for the work. ATK does nothing to help this site, whereas Timbo, Brad, and Dave put alot of time and money behind helping us. If ATK helps you... great..... when are they going to do something to help the overall community. And for future reference... I don't agree with ATK allowing you to buy parts at dealer price when you are not a dealer. That just isn't fair to the dealers that actually buy their products and spend money to have a place to display and sell those same products. You trying to sell their parts is a slap in the face of any legitimate dealer.

kdeal

#12 Post by kdeal »

Pete,

A question? How many motors have you sent to ATK to rebuild? I figured since you are offering up advice to others to seek them out for engine repairs, you should have plenty of experience with this correct? Because I thought you did all your own motor work. Also, if you have such a good relationship with ATK, why not convince them to become a sponser?

peterock

#13 Post by peterock »

Ok, lets straighten this out.

In the original post, the guy asked who he could send his motor to. Site sponsors and non site sponsors were mentioned. AZCannon replied that ATK would be towards the bottom and Southbay dead bottom. Happyboy then replied to stay away from ATK and posted his reason why they guy should stay away from ATK.

My response after that post was "Give ATK a call". If tim, brad, dave had not already been mentioned in a positive manner, I would have said them as well.
That was all I posted, and it was more a response to basically tell the guy to call ATK and make his own decision only because Happyboy had to drag up old dirt most of which that had nothing to do with rebuilding a motor. Then my next post in response was that the guy should call all of them and discuss what he wants done and make a decision based on that.

Of course everything was down hill after that.

KDeal, you ask how many motors I have sent to ATK for repairs? My answer is 0. If I could afford to send my motors out to be redone and save me the time, I would send them that way. Let me ask this. How many motors have you guys sent to ATK for repairs recently?

As for being a site sponsor. Why would they after the constant negative comments that are said about them on here. Some people on here hold a huge grudge against them and only because they herd something that happened to a guy that they don't even know 4 years ago and that isn't around anymore probably. No matter what they do, someone on here is going to rip it apart. If they come out with new plastic, it won't be good enought because it's not the prototype Cannondale plastic. If they do an upgrade in the motor, it's not right because someone else would have did it a different way.

kdeal

#14 Post by kdeal »

Well Pete, I'm not the one who is recommending anyone to ATK so why would I send a motor to them? I have rebuilt 3 motors done by ATK. They were all extremely clean motors well built with the exception of the cranks. Two of the three motors ate the crank AFTER their reliability mods. The other one had a freak cam bearing failure but the crank was reusable. I attribute the above three motors more to Cord when he was at ATK than I do ATK themselves as he is a meticulous engine builder. Unfortunately he is no longer there, and he is Black Widow's biggest asset now. Unlike you, I have had plenty of work done by the people I recommend to others. Black Widow & Timbo have had my business since day one.

peterock

#15 Post by peterock »

Kdeal,

I recommend ATK as my motor was built by them originally. First quad I've had without a motor problem during the year while racing. UPSMan also has been running an ATK motor with no motor issues. Again, that is why my second post in that entire ordeal was that they guy should call them all and determine for himself what he wants done and who to go to.

Is anyone going to argue the point that the motor Cannondale was putting together is better then the motor ATK is putting together? You just said yourself the three motors you did were done by ATK and very clean. Needed a new crank, but that is a different topic as to the entire bearing issue. And you just proved my point in saying the motors weren't clean because they came from ATK, but because Cord did them. Still came from ATK right. So can we then blame Cord for leaving the bearing in? Or do we attribute only good things to Cord and bad things to ATK during the time period that he was there?

I know you aren't recommending them to anyone, but would you tell anyone to stay away from them even though you have never sent a motor to them?

Happyboy

#16 Post by Happyboy »

Pete, so has your ATK motor ever been touch since it came from ATK?

peterock

#17 Post by peterock »

I don't know what ****** did with it if anything. I don't think he did. When i received it, first thing we did was pull it apart and put the z400 bearing in it. Wasn't showing any signs of failure but I was brand new to these quads and Chuck Wachs told me to do it, so I did. Raced it last year and was still going strong. After that, you guys have seen the rest. Dyno run to get a baseline. Pulled motor to put new ATK 450 kit in, and dyno. Pulled motor for crower cams, and dyno. Pulled motor to check cams and install crower head, and dyno.

So, yes it has been touched. Not that it needed to be but it's no fun unless you tear into your motor at least once. smile.gif

Sand_Blaster

#18 Post by Sand_Blaster »

Speaking of Chuck... did he give on on his new buisness? he dont have a site no more.

peterock

#19 Post by peterock »

Chuck is no longer a dealer. He sold all of his stuff a couple weeks back, but he has been basically out of it since last fall.

cannondale27

#20 Post by cannondale27 »

Pete may have gave ATK a plug but Happyboy slammed them.Both arent really necessary and one hurts the whole image of us.I would call it even.