Southern Group Ride

jesshamner

#21 Post by jesshamner »

Yeah it even has a little more amenities than Majestic. More everything really, but I'm not sure the hospitality can be matched. I'm willing to try it out, even though its about the same amount of drive time as Majestic.

kdeal

#22 Post by kdeal »

Some of us will do the drive time. One of the reasons for going a ways South is for others who live further away or won't make the longer drive to Majestic. I don't think anything can replace Majestic. I would look to do this right at the start of or just before racing season because it can get real hot down South.

jesshamner

#23 Post by jesshamner »

The list has been updated and I'm still looking.

NRath

#24 Post by NRath »

QUOTE (speed 450mx @ Oct 8 2007, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man H/M still like 15 hours for me thats the same distance as Majestic. I guess its just that I live to far south for everything. Ill just keep riding in the big state of Texas laugh.gif

I had to look this one up... Majestic is about 7 hours further than H-M if put in line with a trip from Oklahoma City, which you'd probably go through regardless of where in TX you were coming from. However, that doesn't make a trip to H-M any less than the 15 hrs you posted- just that Majestic would have to be in the range of 22 hours.
BUT... that's just a short trip compared to the ride JayBr, Jess, and myself made from VA to Cali to ride at Glamis at about 40 hours each way! So, suck it up, man! You too, Happyboy!! You willing to roadtrip to H-M? Where's that little violin playing smiley?

Bottom line, it's just got to be something you want to do.

I've ridden LBL- neat place. I'd have a hard time making that trip for that place, though, just not big enough. As for H-M, there are a couple places that we could set up the group thing on a one or two of the trails. You could then drive to other trails if you wanted. Honestly, though, if a person makes a big trip to get to H-M, they better plan on staying for close to a week- it's just that big.

That Oklahoma duning thing might be pretty awesome! I'd think we need to try to head farther west as well as south. Durhamtown, which I'd really like to go to, is pretty much in the east.

Brad77

#25 Post by Brad77 »

Durhamtown is a very nice riding place with lots and lots of trails and several MX tracks. I went there for the first time last December. Most of the trails are wide. There are some narrow trails also. Its fun to me becuase I like to ride mx and we go through trails in the woods and all the sudden come up on an mx track. Hit the track then go right back to the trails. I spent all day there and didn't see all the trails. There was also a drag strip (no starting or timing lights) that we played on some. I am not sure if they would give any special group rate prices or anything.

I have also heard good things about Carolina Adventure World in SC. Although I have never been there.
http://www.carolinaadventureworld.com/

There is also a a public ride spot that recently opened near Macon Ga.
http://www.motoparkracing.com/georgia.php
This place opened up this year. Although the last time I went there which was a few months ago the complex wasn't finished. The mx tracks were close to being done but work was still needed on the trails. I am not sure how they are doing now.

jesshamner

#26 Post by jesshamner »

Good info Brad77! Keep it coming everybody!

Nrath, you don't think that LBL is that big? You must not have seen everything. It's definitely bigger than Majestic, which is the standard that I'm trying to achieve.

WhiteZee

#27 Post by WhiteZee »

the only thing im worried about is being able to ride to the trails from camp. we went to h/m in august and stayed in a camp ground that you had to trailer the quads to the trails, and i will never do that again..... it completely wasted our trip because when one person broke down, everyone had to leave.

NRath

#28 Post by NRath »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Oct 10 2007, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nrath, you don't think that LBL is that big? You must not have seen everything. It's definitely bigger than Majestic, which is the standard that I'm trying to achieve.

I must not have seen it all. I was only there for a short day. We rode around to a dam and some gravel hills that were fun, and some fire road type trails. This was 6 years ago at this point, though, so it's been a while!

I know that one of the trails at H-M has camping on the trail. I'd have to research to figure out which one it is. I remember riding by it, though. I'm open to some of these other places if it'll get some other 'dalers there.

WhiteZee

#29 Post by WhiteZee »

LBL has been my favorite riding area since i started riding 6 years ago.... but the forestry service took it over a few years ago and are slowing shuting parts of it down. also, if there is a lot of rain in a short period of time...they will shut it down. i dont think LBL would be a good place for a group ride at this point in time.

ill be down there thanksgiving weekend though!

ciscorc

#30 Post by ciscorc »

Twin Hollow campground has direct access to the browning fork trail at H/M