rear carrier bearings

UpsMan

#11 Post by UpsMan »

I imagine that if chain slack can be a factor, so can the intensity of the riding being done. If you never ride the quad, they'll last a long, long time. If you beat the piss out of it, they won't. Power washing a little carelessly near the seals won't help matters either. I had to replace mine mid-season this year. When I took my axle out, one of the inner races was broken. I may have damaged it while removing the axle, or maybe not, but whatever, its always good to have spare bearings and seals on hand. You always seem to need them at the worst time. I needed mine on a Sunday. I could have sworn I had eight bearings here somewhere, but I'll be damned if I could find them. Monday morning, between three Honda dealerships I came up with two bearings for $27 each. Get real. I called peterock and he hooked me up with two more for like half that price. A ten minute project ended up being a three day event and cost me a sweet day of play riding. I really need to organize my parts. I still haven't found those bearings........

wright

#12 Post by wright »

i think part of my problem might be the same you were having in another post about the axle nut that keeps coming loose, i need to do something about that also, i dont know whats going on there but another month or so wont be able to ride any way so i will get it something done over winter.

kdeal

#13 Post by kdeal »

Ross,

A cheap way to keep the nut from coming loose is good old fashioned duct tape around the nut and axle after you tighten everything up. It's tacky looking but works great. Greasing the bearings properly and using good quality bearings are the only thing that will help it live longer. Some installations have been known to crush the inner spacer tube causing problems as well. I use anti seize inside the inner tube to axle as well.

wright

#14 Post by wright »

Thats what i am using now good old electric tape, can't even tell its on there, but i rode 3 hours Saturday right after i tighten it up and it came loose agian? anyone know what size that tube is supposed to be, i think that might be my problem, i got good bearings last year from Canniboomer and used good grease, so the tube might be the problem, i hope

peterock

#15 Post by peterock »

I have a brand new one sitting at home. I'll try and measure it tonight.

QUOTE (wright @ Oct 22 2007, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thats what i am using now good old electric tape, can't even tell its on there, but i rode 3 hours Saturday right after i tighten it up and it came loose agian? anyone know what size that tube is supposed to be, i think that might be my problem, i got good bearings last year from Canniboomer and used good grease, so the tube might be the problem, i hope

Psychosis

#16 Post by Psychosis »

I've had extremely good luck w/my carrier bearings over the years. Since I've owned Dales I've only replaced them twice between two quads. One set ran nearly two full years MX and when I tore the rear end down, were still great looking. But changing out since I have spares and the fact that they're getting old now. Lots of factors depend. Condition of the seals also matter. I've seen people install brand new seals and damage them on installation.