Ease of neutral

CannondaleRider

#11 Post by CannondaleRider »

My bike will hit neutral wide open between 1st and 2nd......pretty consistently, lol.

It will go into neutral at a dead stop, but its hard. Just rolling a little bit makes it easy..

Nickc711

#12 Post by Nickc711 »

wistech thats something like i figured but i thought you have to machine out more than that...mabey like .05

theJeStEr1340

#13 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

I have never had a problem with 3 bikes.

wistech

#14 Post by wistech »

Tim and myself were exerimenting with depth and found that if you went to far you sometimes end up with a engine that goes into neutral too easy . Like getting neutral in a drag race would be very bad. It seems reshaping the the edges (peaks)and matching the roller to the detent is whats is important. Im not going to recomend going any further if you dont have to. You can go further if you want to but at your risk. I only do the mod on the engines that are known for the issues. Mostly fx400's and early cannibals. Newer engines didnt seem to have the issue nearly as much. If your engine does not do it then dont touch it.

Nickc711

#15 Post by Nickc711 »

QUOTE (wistech @ Oct 24 2007, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tim and myself were exerimenting with depth and found that if you went to far you sometimes end up with a engine that goes into neutral too easy . Like getting neutral in a drag race would be very bad. It seems reshaping the the edges (peaks)and matching the roller to the detent is whats is important. Im not going to recomend going any further if you dont have to. You can go further if you want to but at your risk. I only do the mod on the engines that are known for the issues. Mostly fx400's and early cannibals. Newer engines didnt seem to have the issue nearly as much. If your engine does not do it then dont touch it.

mabey when i rebuild i will send it to you and you can fix it??

NRath

#16 Post by NRath »

I can't help but think it may be oil related- as crazy as it sounds. JayBr's is an early Speed- neutral is as easy as spreading warm butter. I had an early re-furb Cannibal- easy greasy. My current ride was a re-furb that went out right before bankruptcy, so it's age is questionable, but probably relatively new. It hits neutral easily too. One common thread between them all- Redline Lightweight Shockproof.

Are there any Shockproof users that have a hard time with neutral?

kdeal

#17 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (NRath @ Oct 26 2007, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't help but think it may be oil related- as crazy as it sounds. JayBr's is an early Speed- neutral is as easy as spreading warm butter. I had an early re-furb Cannibal- easy greasy. My current ride was a re-furb that went out right before bankruptcy, so it's age is questionable, but probably relatively new. It hits neutral easily too. One common thread between them all- Redline Lightweight Shockproof.

Are there any Shockproof users that have a hard time with neutral?

Neil,

Are any of these bikes cable clutch? Or are they all hydro motors? I know Jay's bike has a unicorn case (hydro), I am not sure of the others. I think the cable clutch bikes have it worse than the hydro clutch bikes.

NRath

#18 Post by NRath »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Oct 26 2007, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Neil,

Are any of these bikes cable clutch? Or are they all hydro motors? I know Jay's bike has a unicorn case (hydro), I am not sure of the others. I think the cable clutch bikes have it worse than the hydro clutch bikes.

My first one was cable. And it was very difficult when it was new. But, whether it was wear in or the oil, it got as easy as any. My current is SSM.

wistech

#19 Post by wistech »

I have seen at least 2 quads that no human no matter how hard they tried would ever be able to get neutral with those quads running. It didnt matter what kind of lube we threw in it.

It is possible that redline shockproof (green sludge) causes so much drag on the shift drum that it helped slow the pawl down so it wont skip through the detent notch. I would rather fix the problem than suffer the drag penalty of that crap.
Yes I think that shockproof is crap and doesnt belong in a gearbox with oil pumps,filters and clutches. Ill bet money that it causes the tranny temps to be hotter and has a measurable power loss.

Nickc711

#20 Post by Nickc711 »

I got a cable clutch!... its not impossible to find neutral...just a pain