Going on a diet

UpsMan

#11 Post by UpsMan »

If money were no object, what parts could be made from titanium? I mean, are there some parts that titanium would not be suitable for? I want a drag quad someday, and I'm kind of planning/daydreaming about it.

kdeal

#12 Post by kdeal »

Roger,

Think of the heaviest pieces that are made of steel that must stay on the quad, and that would not be suitable made in aluminum and that will give you some ideas.

J. Delaney

#13 Post by J. Delaney »

Axle, A arms, steering stem, tie rods, all nuts and bolts in the chassis and motor, connecting rod, etc. That would just about cover it. But plan on spending quite a few thousands.

Speed 1B

#14 Post by Speed 1B »

Looking good Tim. Judging by the way that stem looks I could use TJ for a day!

theJeStEr1340

#15 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

Why not use CF tie rods?

Sand_Blaster

#16 Post by Sand_Blaster »

That stem reminds me of a machine gun barrel laugh.gif

UpsMan

#17 Post by UpsMan »

Anybody know how much an axle would weigh if made from Ti? And how much $$$ just for the material? I really question if Ti should reallly be used for some parts, like an axle. If it really was a good thing, wouldn't plenty of well funded racers be using them? I have a hunch that money isn't the only reason ti isn't used for axles. Is it too brittle or too soft?

J. Delaney

#18 Post by J. Delaney »

It seems to work fine for a drag racer, but if you pound on it at a MX track, it won't hold up. At least that's what I've been told.

cannondale27

#19 Post by cannondale27 »

AMA banned Ti axles for MX and Aluminum for TT about 8 years ago. I never saw one break though.

wayneschofield

#20 Post by wayneschofield »

QUOTE (UpsMan @ Dec 30 2007, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anybody know how much an axle would weigh if made from Ti? And how much $$$ just for the material? I really question if Ti should reallly be used for some parts, like an axle. If it really was a good thing, wouldn't plenty of well funded racers be using them? I have a hunch that money isn't the only reason ti isn't used for axles. Is it too brittle or too soft?

R&S have them listed, they're about $750 if I remember right....

If they have them in stock and they are banned for most racing maybe they'll sell one to you cheap......

Go on, ask them.... I dare you.....