Shipping engine.... (in a cooler)?

xqwzit

#1 Post by xqwzit »

I've been told to ship the engine in a cooler. Anyone know which one is the best fit.... if possible a model number?

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

Go to Walmart and look for a tall square cooler with wheels and a pull handle that will recess. It costs around $25 and the last one I just saw was blue & white made by Igloo I believe.

thedeatons

#3 Post by thedeatons »

I have used large Rubbermaid tub, with foam all around the engine, and the lid zip tied shut....

speed 450mx

#4 Post by speed 450mx »

Go with the cooler its the best way to ship a motor.

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

Yep an igloo ice cube cooler is the way to go. Then wrap it completly with a roll of duct tape. A towel in the bottom for any oil drippage . The igloo has a tow handle and wheels so your shipper doesnt HATE you. General rule of thumb when shipping is ship it so it can withstand a fall down a flight of stairs in any conditions. Cardboard boxes and flismy plastic totes just dont cut it for my precious.

thedeatons

#6 Post by thedeatons »

This is a really great idea...

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

Another thing is write in big letters where the pull handles is. Although it is funny when they carry the box (huffing and puffing) in and you telescope out the handle and pull it away.

I've shipped a couple dozen engines around the country with no damage or lost items with the Igloo with great results. Plus it keeps the refreshments cold while your having an engine building party.

xqwzit

#8 Post by xqwzit »

Great, I guess it's off to walmart for the igloo. Thanks everyone for the advice.

jesshamner

#9 Post by jesshamner »

Yep. Igloo Ice Cube is by far the best way to go. It fits snuggly into the cooler too so it doesn't move around inside the cooler. It's like the people at Igloo designed it for us.

rayspeed

#10 Post by rayspeed »

Add some really thick cardboard or a thin piece of plywood to the bottom cause the pressure points will bust out the plastic inner liner into the foam insulation... kind of makes it unreusalbe for what it was designed for and leak. Just makes it single purpose from then on.
Ray