How do i get my rev limiter the same as a moto.

cannondale27

#11 Post by cannondale27 »

Good point Ray.I agree.With more power most of us have been lowering rev limits.Why rev it to moon when you should just shift since power is falling off anyway.

SlOoT

#12 Post by SlOoT »

I use a 10k rev limit. I prefer to keep the revs a bit lower.

wayneschofield

#13 Post by wayneschofield »

QUOTE (SlOoT @ Jan 26 2008, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use a 10k rev limit. I prefer to keep the revs a bit lower.

My boy's is set to 9500, just so it lasts longer and so I can beat him in a race..... something has to make up for my old age....

Why not gear it up and keep the revs down? Thins definitly last longer that way.....

g9901920

#14 Post by g9901920 »

i have been racing for 5 years competitively and just got my cannondale.
i will have a full exhaust and my cannibal has all the new updates done.
i need the moto map so that i can get all of my motor.
i will be doing all the suspension and ect. as well.
what other reasons would i have to not do this.
it will be run on vp race gas.
thanks

cannondale27

#15 Post by cannondale27 »

Well only other reason I can think of is that the lower rev limit makes you use your motors PEAK hp more effectively.Only advantage I have seen with higher rev limit is in holeshots sometimes you can just rev the heck out of it instead of making the 2nd shift before the corner.It is a slight advantage since most others will be taking that second shift.Way I got around that is more power and higher gearing which =more tire speed which is really what matters here.I know what your saying though.Took alot to convince me to run a stroker and lower the limit.I was always riding mine like a 2stroke but got used to lower rev limit very quickly once I stopped using the clutch to shift.Never would go back to 12,000+ rev limit now.But its your call.

g9901920

#16 Post by g9901920 »

thats true i have to think about it because i have always raced 250r's and the extra revs count.
thanks for the help.

NRath

#17 Post by NRath »

As I was reading his original post, I was thinking the same as a couple others. IMO, you're better off to stick with the lower rev limit. However, if you will be getting a pipe, you're going to need a map update anyway. At that time, you'll have to decide where you want the rev limit. I don't ever hit the rev limit because if you're revving that high, you're wasting time. The power starts to fall off before it hits the limit- click another gear and let her rip!!!

UpsMan

#18 Post by UpsMan »

I almost never hit the rev limiter on my atk, but when I ride my wifes 450R, I hit it constantly. The motor in that quad sucks compared to mine.

cannondale27

#19 Post by cannondale27 »

We should find out the rev limits of some other brands.I bet none are at 11,000rpm unless they have a ignition mod.

MX Quad Dad

#20 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (Wayne Schofield @ Jan 26 2008, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My boy's is set to 9500, just so it lasts longer and so I can beat him in a race..... something has to make up for my old age....

Why not gear it up and keep the revs down? Thins definitly last longer that way.....

It's funny you say that. My Speeds only mod is a HMF exhaust. the head pipe was cleaned up (welds on inlet and were they join at the collector). I have the rev limit at 10,000 (mainly because I still have the stock rod bearing). My sons Moto has slight intake porting, timbo stroker and the FMF pipe cleaned up the same as mine. At the last spring ride at speed2424's the Moto couldn't beat the speed. The only thing we done to the Moto between the spring ride and the fall ride was, oil change. And my son won the MX challenge at the fall ride.

I know there is enough climate and or elevation difference to make one a little better at one or the other,but what I'm saying is the Moto does run good. I believe it was more that the conditions at the spring ride were in my favor. also like 27 said revving out of the power band doesn't help. unless you consider the holeshot theory were you have to downshift right after you up shift.