Pullers

Nickc711

#1 Post by Nickc711 »

What kind of bearing puller should i get...right now i need one for the rear axle but also for the engine later...im getting suck of beating them out...

will something like this work?Also will it work for seals?
http://secure.poolcenter.com/prodinfo.asp?number=4876-VGA

offroadfan

#2 Post by offroadfan »

QUOTE (Nickc711 @ Feb 6 2008, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What kind of bearing puller should i get...right now i need one for the rear axle but also for the engine later...im getting suck of beating them out...

will something like this work?Also will it work for seals?
http://secure.poolcenter.com/prodinfo.asp?number=4876-VGA

I used that same one for my engine for the main bearings. I bought it becuase I only planned on using it for only those two bearings. It broke on the second bearing. HAHA. One of the arms broke in the middle. I ended up welding the arm back on. Then I went to pull it again and maximum diameter was not enough. I then had to place a little tack weld on the inside of each arm to make the reach larger. Then the top bar with the pillars mounted to it started to bend really bad before it finally pulled it. It almost broke. So I would recommend against that one. Also, its only 15 if you get it at harbor freight (or harbor junk as I call it). But I wouldn't buy it again

Nickc711

#3 Post by Nickc711 »

QUOTE (offroadfan @ Feb 6 2008, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used that same one for my engine for the main bearings. I bought it becuase I only planned on using it for only those two bearings. It broke on the second bearing. HAHA. One of the arms broke in the middle. I ended up welding the arm back on. Then I went to pull it again and maximum diameter was not enough. I then had to place a little tack weld on the inside of each arm to make the reach larger. Then the top bar with the pillars mounted to it started to bend really bad before it finally pulled it. It almost broke. So I would recommend against that one. Also, its only 15 if you get it at harbor freight (or harbor junk as I call it). But I wouldn't buy it again

thanks..can anybody recommend a good one?

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

I use this one on every bearing in the motor except the brass cage FX400 one (it does fit the other ones).

http://www.pitposse.com/poblbebrpuse.html

Yes, it's expensive. But it's the cheapest one that I have found that does the job. It's so much easier than a jaw type puller on blind bearings.

claas900

#5 Post by claas900 »

Nickc711

#6 Post by Nickc711 »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Feb 7 2008, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use this one on every bearing in the motor except the brass cage FX400 one (it does fit the other ones).

http://www.pitposse.com/poblbebrpuse.html

Yes, it's expensive. But it's the cheapest one that I have found that does the job. It's so much easier than a jaw type puller on blind bearings.

if it works for every bearing thats not expensive.....what do you use for the rear axle bearing...that is more than 32mm...mabey like 40mm..?

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

Haydug made a post on how to do it. Works well. Basicly you just mount carrier in a vice and heat it up a little around bearing area. They fall out.

wright

#8 Post by wright »

and put you new ones in the freezer and let them get real cold and drop them back in the hot carrier

NRath

#9 Post by NRath »

I'll second heating the carrier and freezing the bearings- works like a charm. Make sure you pop the seal out first. I always lay the carrier on the wood stove for about 10 minutes. Pick it up, shake it a couple times, and the bearings fall right out.

Nickc711

#10 Post by Nickc711 »

all right... thanks guys..i didnt even think about that...