YFZ 450 opinion

jbomb

YFZ 450 opinion

#1 Post by jbomb »

I finally got to see one. It looks good. I would hate to ride on that seat for long. For Dirt Wheels to say that it is the most race ready quad ever is so stupid. It might be in that price range but they do not say that. It would have to have a-arms, shocks, axle, beadlocks, tires, handle bars, kill switch and more. All stuff that the Blaze and Moto already have. I am so glad I stuck with my C-dales.

oldsandman

#2 Post by oldsandman »

I rode the new yz this weekend at st. anthonys after my dale broke. The yz really impressed me it handled well and had great power. The motor really is a fantastic piece in stock trim. The yz compared favorably to my r in the handling, suspension and ergonomics deparment. All I would change are the bars... It really was a nice ride! I would like to have one and I am not a big fan of yamaha. As for "race ready" close but as you said not quite there. The baze and moto were closer out of the box read dirtwheels for what its worth...not much...

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Did some testing this weekend I had 14-39 gearing,BigGun exhaust,18Turftamers on my dale.Yamaha had stock gearing,cam mod,lidremoved,exhaust unplugged,carbrejetted 18turftamers.
In rollons on blacktop starting in 2nd gear the Yfz would pull slightly every gear(about 2-3ft)at the end of fouthgear he was about two to three lengths ahead and then I went by him like he was standing still.This was not caused by rider error since we had same results numerous times even when we switched riders.
Opinion:The Yfz needs gearing work a 15 in front will help it in fifth but may hurt it in the rest.The rear sprocket hub is limited in gearing choices.The rev limiter is too low.Pipe and gearing test will be next.The "feel" of the Yamaha with propegs is as close to a 250r as I have seen feels very low and easy to move around on feels light.Much better than the Cannondale "feel wise" this would be a factor if you race only.Powerwise it is close all I know is to guarantee beating a cannondale they will have to do more than the free mods that this one had.

Sandstorm

#4 Post by Sandstorm »

My bros is very very fast. Now I was running my Graydon slip on and moto mapping. I lost many times in our sand drags we did at Saint Anthonys, by more then I care to mention.. He beat me by 5mph up Choke Cherry Hill , per radar gun. Now I just got my full BG pipe and am dropping my quad off for a few days and have my dealer install the moto/speed map. I just ordered the R&S 5th gear also.. Labor Day I will gladly post vids of his 450 vs my Dale up the Mighty Sand Mtn in Utah.. This is a hill that shows who's got the balls and who should go home!!! Anybody want to fill me in on how my quad will run then.. I put the BG pipe on and didn't notice any improvement over what I had. I last maped my quad a year ago, moto map, so it could have been out of spec..

acarli3

#5 Post by acarli3 »

I have both a YFZ 450 and a Canondale. The YFZ feels lighter and is easy to handle over the cdale. I wouldn't call the YFZ "race ready"when compared to the Blaze or moto but the YFZ retails for $6899 where the Blaze and Moto retailed for considerably more. Put that money into the YFZ 450 and you have a bike that will really rip and compete soundly with the Blaze and Mto. The YFZ is more comparable in specs and price to the Speed or Cannibal than the Blaze or Moto but we all know these bikes can also be upgraded.

Both Yamaha and now Honda are ready to take the cdales on. They are likely, if not now then soon, to suceed simply because these bikes are being manufacutred and will be upgraded adn made even better with each passing year where the cdales are no longer being produced. A cdale will become obsolete at some point if someone doesn't start making them again.sad.gif

the YFZ does have a thumb throttle that has too much tension in it. Wears your thumb out quick!