trick to starting the c-dales?

NittroT

#1 Post by NittroT »

To start the Dale properly:
Put in neutral, pull in the clutch. Bump the start button, let sit for 3 seconds then start. Its not as bad as it sounds

Mjollnir

#2 Post by Mjollnir »

That is only the procedure for a stone-cold start. Once it's warm, you just need to pull in the clutch and poke at the starter for 2-3 second bursts. Mine (although it is only barely broken in) starts the first try every time.

Marc

Cannibal440

#3 Post by Cannibal440 »

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the manual says to hit the start button w/out the clutch pulled in. I hit the start button for 1 sec. then wait 5 seconds and my Cannibal fires right up every time, even when it's 30 degrees out. With a warm engine there is no need for priming and it fires right away. Hope this helps.smile.gif

AlaskaSpeed

#4 Post by AlaskaSpeed »

Honestly,
You guys are making this out to be rocket science...and it's not. It is after all an ATV and can be run hard. If you know how to start your parents' fuel injected car or truck, then you can start a Cannondale. Just keep your battery on a trickle charger any time you store it in between rides and you will never have a problem. I know the 2 times I have ever foulded a plug was because the battery voltage was not high enough......JIM

Mjollnir

#5 Post by Mjollnir »

Originally posted by Tainted Glory
sounds complicated to say the least. but, once its warmed up, its just like startig any other quad?

Ummm, Tainted, no offense, and this is not a flame, but it's really not complicated. No more steps than going to the bathroom. For comparison sake, lets go through the procedure for a carbed quad. And yes, this is ONLY FOR A COLD START, the first start of the day:

1. Set choke.
2. give shot of fuel (as needed)
3. turn key on
4. set switch to "run"
5. pull in clutch
6. press start button until engine fires
7. Give throttle as necessary to keep from dying
8. gradually let choke out as engine warms
9. Ride...

For Cannondale:

1. turn key on
2. set switch to "run"
3. Pull in clutch
4. press start button for one second, then wait 5 seconds.
5. Press start button (2-3 seconds at a time) until engine fires (this will usually take 2 tries MAX)
6. Do not touch the throttle until the radiator hose is warm to the touch.
7. Ride...

jcv440

#6 Post by jcv440 »

Hitting the start button and waiting the 5 seconds activates the cold start mechanism. Mine doesn't start with this method unless I do pull in the clutch and actually roll the engine over for a second. Then it fires right up. But that's the whole reasoning.

Alaska is right, it's no big deal...just give everyone the "hit the throttle while starting, and you just lost your thumb" speech, and people will be able to ride your quad. wink.gif

Cannibal440

#7 Post by Cannibal440 »

Go to the "owners manuals" section of cannondale's website. it proceedure is described in detail. I thought I bight have been doing it wrong all this time but the clutch DOES need to be pulled in for the 1sec crank to set the idle air bypass valve and for the fuel pressure to build. Thats the whole point of waiting the 5 sec. before cranking the engine over, I guess. Anyway, like others have said its pretty simple and after a few days you could do it in your sleep.

LapTraffic

#8 Post by LapTraffic »

When I went to test drive a speed in washington it was VERY cold, the bike was outside and the dealer gladly went out and started it. He walked me through the startup procedure, he primed it 3 times then fired it up. It came to life and promptly died!

What the?! He was kindof embarrassed, "this has NEVER happened before" Im freakin out because my wife is standing there and her main complaint, besides the price, is the reliability issue.

So the dealer is frantically mashing the start button all to no avail...

Finally he looks in the gas tank... EMPTY!

He topped it off and she started right up and ran fine.

So add a full tank of gas to the start up procedure smile.gif

Knight440

#9 Post by Knight440 »

Originally posted by Mjollnir
Ummm, Tainted, no offense, and this is not a flame, but it's really not complicated. No more steps than going to the bathroom. For comparison sake, lets go through the procedure for a carbed quad. And yes, this is ONLY FOR A COLD START, the first start of the day:

1. Set choke.
2. give shot of fuel (as needed)
3. turn key on
4. set switch to "run"
5. pull in clutch
6. press start button until engine fires
7. Give throttle as necessary to keep from dying
8. gradually let choke out as engine warms
9. Ride...

For Cannondale:

1. turn key on
2. set switch to "run"
3. Pull in clutch
4. press start button for one second, then wait 5 seconds.
5. Press start button (2-3 seconds at a time) until engine fires (this will usually take 2 tries MAX)
6. Do not touch the throttle until the radiator hose is warm to the touch.
7. Ride...

This needs to be in the FAQ section for sure on both EXRIDERS and here......Good Job Mjollnir