This cracks me up!!! A post from atvriders

desertbound

#21 Post by desertbound »

60hp isn't mandatory for the dunes. 45-50 is ideal for the average dune rider. Then again, the funnest times I have ever had was back in the day on a 200x atc. I think they might have been pushing 20hp. Back when it took skill to get to the top of most dunes.

jacobw

#22 Post by jacobw »

[quote name='cannondale27' date='Dec 13 2008, 02:03 PM' post='200204']
UPSMAN hasnt ridden trails or Ice with us.I need to get him to do that.45hp dont cut it.

/quote]

people think that hp makes up for skill or the lack thereof if you cannot win with 50hp, 60hp wont make you any faster you need to sharpen your riding skills and fine tune your suspension I have ridden more trails and xc courses than 90 percent of the members on this board and 50hp will get you in the trees, unless the trails are 8 feet wide and thats not a trail its a fire road, and that takes no skill to put the hammer down, if you think those are trails you need to get off the groomed road and ride some manly stuff.

Crazie

#23 Post by Crazie »

QUOTE (desertbound @ Dec 13 2008, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
60hp isn't mandatory for the dunes. 45-50 is ideal for the average dune rider. Then again, the funnest times I have ever had was back in the day on a 200x atc. I think they might have been pushing 20hp. Back when it took skill to get to the top of most dunes.

While I can't comment on the 200x days (except to say I've ridden one and they're fun as ****)....I can say you can have PLENTY of fun in the sand on a 30-35hp machine. I've ridden my old Z400 and some 400ex's out there and can climb every hill out there for the most part. Yeah, I have to work my 300lb a$$ off to get up some stuff, but I made it. I also never ran paddles on any of those machines.

Some of the guys I ride with can make a 400ex scream through the dunes. Not because it's fast, but because 5th gear is all they use...lol. I can't lead fast rides, but keeping up with them on a 400ex sure was fun....

'99 400ex (stock) - 8.3 inches of travel in the front, 9.1 in the rear.....according to who??? laugh.gif
[attachment=7724:anthony_bottom.jpg]

EDIT: All that being said, I do have a lot more fun on my Dale because it's easier to go fast.

cannondale27

#24 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (jacobw @ Dec 13 2008, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
people think that hp makes up for skill or the lack thereof if you cannot win with 50hp, 60hp wont make you any faster you need to sharpen your riding skills and fine tune your suspension I have ridden more trails and xc courses than 90 percent of the members on this board and 50hp will get you in the trees, unless the trails are 8 feet wide and thats not a trail its a fire road, and that takes no skill to put the hammer down, if you think those are trails you need to get off the groomed road and ride some manly stuff.

Hah laugh.gif Just means your Chicken.Ask Timbo what its like.Welcome to come find out anytime you want.Its a blast and you really do get used to the speeds.

jacobw

#25 Post by jacobw »

i am not afraid to bang bars with anyone on a good hare scramble course or moto cross track but I am afraid you might get embarrassed when my stocker passes you and might even leave you treed lol. my stock cannondale is faster in the woods than my full ars-fx yfz, you might get me in the open but i tend to catch up in the bark bangers. me and timbo have also talked about the hare scramble he raced and agreed the stroker motor was too much in tight woods racing like here in missouri and iowa might pass for gncc, we agreed a stock stroke with porting and maybe a 450 piston would be the best setup, when you work hard at racing you are working too hard being smooth and cosistent will get you more than horsepower, its all in the suspension 50-55hp for mx and around 50 for xc more and you will be treed.

thedeatons

#26 Post by thedeatons »

I too only dune with my 45hp, so it makes me laugh to read that 45hp isn't enough for the dunes. My Glamis climbs anything. The problem with most people is they go to the dunes once, can't get up a hill with their long track MX gearing, and think they need more power. It's all in the gearing folks. I run 13/44 and it goes up anything, and wheelies in 4th no problem.

cannondale27

#27 Post by cannondale27 »

We are comparing apples to oranges here.I have raced plenty of Harescrambles and never had any problem controlling the throttle no matter HP of motor.Enjoyed passing everyone in the fields of which almost all Harescrambles have at least one 4th or fifth gear section.Only reason I run Harescrambles is to keep in shape.Its not my idea of exciting.More like work and a endurance thing.I have seen guy on a 300ex stock spank the whole A-class at a really tight one so really why even bring up motor when talking Harescrambles.

The statement was "There is no need for more than 45hp" Thats bull and I cannot believe anyone would say that.You guys are correct that alot of our trails are 8ft wide and not very rough.They are boring and require no skill if your on something like a 300ex which only goes 45 or so.Do it with a 50hp Moto and then the adrenaline gets pumping and skills are heavily involved if you find stuff like that boring your not going fast enough.You all sound like a bunch of HP Nazis!If it has too much power let off!If you cant control the throttle then maybe you dont belong with anything with a motor.Until you experience a full lock fifth gear wide open slide around a corner dont come and tell me I dont need hp.Deatons with your gearing and 20in tires your quad only goes about 60mph maybe a bit more.Sure seems a waste to have all that huge dune area to be hitting revlimiter or putting around in.I could careless about doing a wheely in fourth.And at St.Anthonys and LS Utah there was no hill my MX Timbo stroker quad couldnt climb either.Nothing stopped it with any gearing including 14-39 with 22" 8 paddle Haulers.Figure out that fifth gear speed when in flats or bowling because I remember hitting rev limit more than once out there.You guys its fine if your happy with what you have and I wont tell you you need any more but dont tell me I need less.

claas900

#28 Post by claas900 »

http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/cdale.htm 13/44 with a 21" tire and 11k rpm is 79.4mph

Tho Pismo Beach doesn't have anything big and a stock anything could get up everything. I always want more HP,when I cant hold on then I know I have enough. wink.gif But I will say when I drag a lot my arms get tired

cannondale27

#29 Post by cannondale27 »

Cripes according to calculator I was doing 101mph.Thats not right.I do have Motard fifth.I figured about 85.

thedeatons

#30 Post by thedeatons »

I have a 13/44 with a motard 5th. I could care less about top speed man. In 1997 I had my 1996 Kawasaki ZX-7R reading 173mph on 15 south in San Diego. I was severely spanking a Mustang Cobra at the time. Sure the speedo was probably off and I was probably only doing 156mph (assuming a 10% error), but my throttle was on the stop in 6th, and the speedometer needle had stopped moving to the right. My wife and I have chased Porsches down on my R6 (she was on the back laughing the whole time), and I have led Ducatis through the SoCal mountains on my SV650S (they were shocked). I've been fast, and frankly anything over 120mph feels the same to me.

We ride a lot differently than others, and I don't think anyone fully understands that until they go out with us. We don't go 150' without making a 180 degree turn, over and over again. We do that for about 3 hours. It's a follow the leader, crazy desert race. We ride to the next bush, then spin around it, cutting back on the pack. Am I in 5th gear a lot? Yes, I am, especially when we decide to just hot rod back to camp via the ridge. Do I have the need or want to go faster (top speed-wise)... No. Not considering my background. I have already done that. I like the tight stuff in the sand, wheelying out of every corner and overshooting the next because you can't get the front end down... On the street I will take 80-90mph curves over the tight stuff.... weird how my taste is different on the street.

So, to respond to your thoughts Steve.... Yes, I ride differently than you do. My Glamis is putting out about 45hp and I am perfectly happy with that level of power and with my gearing every trip. If I wanted to change my quad I would, but I don't, which is why it has been setup the same for about two years. My Moto had 52hp, and it was fun, no doubt, but 45 is comfy for me, I enjoy it, and ASSOs are cheap.

Try not to tell me what I think or like either..... The door swings both ways.