This cracks me up!!! A post from atvriders

thedeatons

#61 Post by thedeatons »

You're right, I totally forgot about the SX version having nerfs....

I'll up my anty and say that it would be nice to have a stock damper and aftermarket pipe (non-ti please).... I'm never satisfied, I know.....

Crazie

#62 Post by Crazie »

From what I've heard, the KTM boys aren't changing the headers at all, and most systems are only coming in out slip-on format.

However, that aftermarket pipe may put you beyond the 96dB limit that's coming up...lol.

Funny thing about dampeners though, is that I've been riding my Speed without them, and anytime I rode a friends LTR with one, but my Speed seemed to handle the choppy stuff better for some reason. Maybe because the suspension is really soft?

thedeatons

#63 Post by thedeatons »

Yah, the Dales only need slip ons too....

I can't stand no damper, the bars flop around everywhere....

MX Quad Dad

#64 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (desertbound @ Dec 16 2008, 02:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The KTM comes with nerfs, and a map select for the cdi. Nerfs are required at any AMA sanctioned event. So is a kill switch. Whether they enforce it or not is the tracks deal. WP shocks are very good. The KTM's msrp is around 12 grand for the 505, but even here in socal people are getting them for around $8200 OTD.

The KTM is race ready. So is the Can Am. You could literally unload from truck straight from dealer and pass any tech inspection at any track. The shocks are even hi-lo adjustable.

I have a co-worker suposedbly bought one (KTM) for his son. I thought he told me it had nerfs but no teather or damper.

It may be just me but, I felt running the open class was second rate. or do they offer a 450 kit?

I know a lot of people who think WPs are junk, but I had good luck with them and they really worked with me to get them dialed in. sold me parts and told me everthing I needed to rebuid my own. when I wanted help tuning the ohlins for my son they told me he needed to change his riding style. I had talked to WP about setting up a set of shocks and if my son would have raced one more year, the Moto would probubly have had WP's on it

Crazie

#65 Post by Crazie »

KTM offers SX versions in a 505 (477cc) and a 450cc version. The one I saw at a dealer had a tether mounted to the plastics I think, right below the left side of the bars.

They also offer XC versions in a 525 (which I think is 510cc) and a 450. I'm not sure why KTM uses the numbers they do, but can be misleading if you don't look into it.

In this pic you can see the tether...just below the bars on the right (as you are facing the quad).

thedeatons

#66 Post by thedeatons »

Not sure who you talked to about the Ohlins, but any adjustable shock should be able to be set up for almost any riding style. However, I will say that your son will become a more versatile rider if he can learn to overcome each different machine's shortcomings and learn to ride anything fast.

I learned that with sportbikes, I enjoyed riding them with stock suspension settings and making myself go faster by learning to overcome the faults of the suspension settings. This way when he does get on a perfectly setup machine he will ride like lightning.

cannondale27

#67 Post by cannondale27 »

No they should have worked with him.You dont ever tell a customer something like that you always should at least try something.Someone must have been having a bad day or something Ohlins is probably the best company I have ever worked with for helping out.MxQuaddad I wish I would have known that happened.Would have raised a stink with them for sure.

thedeatons

#68 Post by thedeatons »

Don't get me wrong, I did say that those shocks should haave been settable in my first paragraph. My second paragraph was simply a bit of advice to help the riding ability of his son.... Wasn't meaning to sound condescending or anything, just simple banter.

MX Quad Dad

#69 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Well this all happened back in 2002. I called them before i bought the Moto and they sounded all gunho even when I told the I would be rebuilding my own. after we got the quad and a few practices later my thought that the suspension would be to stiff were confermed. He couldn't even tip the scales at 150# with full riding gear. His Banshee was set up real soft even for a 150# MX "A"class rider (acording to WP). When I called Ohlins, they wanted nothing to do with softening up the rear and said only had one other set of springs for the front. Any way when asked for some service manuales, prices on any special tools and charge specs he got kind of rude with me, thats when I called Cannondale and told them. they (Cannondale) apoligised and put me in touch with i believe it was Joeri. By the time I talked to Joeri I had fond the the tie-rods would hit and maybe hang-up on the frame at full extension, which his fix was to shorten the stroke by 13mm and no option to soften the rear. We wanted to race that weekend but had the following weekend off, but still wanted a quick turnaround so he could get some practice on them and fine tune them. He told me to express ship on monday and he would do the mods and ship out so I could have them back for the weekend. I called on wednesday and the shocks were there and he was out of town.

As for becoming a mre versital rider. we were going for a "A"class championship so tuneing the bike to suit him is the best way. If WP could make the 400+# banshee handle good with a 150# rider. It should have been easier to make a 350# dale handle as good, especially since we knew what we wanted.

cannondale27

#70 Post by cannondale27 »

I also had trouble back in 2002.Cannondale called them and straightened them out.Never had a problem since.