My Cannondale Story

MX Quad Dad

#11 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Yep, I guess he still remembers me and my son

Z4J

#12 Post by Z4J »

Well...here we go. The 400EX is done and I started to tear into the 440. Ironic, but my needs rings only Dale may need a bit more. Shaving here and shavings there. Already found that the trans. filter was gobbled up to the point of no return. Crossing my fingers that it's where I'm finding all the shavings.
Unfortunate that the previous owner didn't give me all the details, but I'm going to make her purr again regardless. Karma will handle the rest. Here's where she stands today. Some damage, but nothing to pass out over yet. Wish me luck as the more I tear in, the more I enjoy wrenching on my Made in the USA quad. We'll see if we can take her to the line before the season is over.

Ps. I'm still learn and admit it. Attempted to drop the engine while forgetting to pull an injector. Strong design...:-)

cannondale27

#13 Post by cannondale27 »

Hey I like your parts organizing on the wall.Good idea!

Notice your motor has metal pump gears.Thats a bonus.How is valve cover?

Z4J

#14 Post by Z4J »

Thanks for the comments. The wall is the least I can do with the effort Dave has been putting into detailing the situation. I'm all for advice on what's good and bad with the tear down as this is my first Dale (and am greatful for the advice).
Haven't pull the valve cover yet. I've seen a build up at the lines so I'm assuming it's going to be thick in there. Story time for my 4 month old so I hung it up for the day. wink.gif
Found this gear working, but wrecked. Easy to come by?

kevin444

#15 Post by kevin444 »

i can tell that you've been dealing with Dave with all the very organized baggies hanging everywhere, that was my life for a couple of weeks. I recently picked one of these bad !@# quads and did a complete over haul from the crank up with the help of many folks here on the site and Dave "Boomer" helping with all the parts and tolls needed "still got a small bearing puller" that he sent to me at no charge; thanks again real stand up guy!

Good luck with the build...i've recently hit Amargossa dunes for the first time and had a blast with the dale......

have fun, and don't hesitate to ask questions, this is a dale and nothing like any other jappy.....

Kevin

cannondale27

#16 Post by cannondale27 »

That is the tranny pump gear.No that is the rarest of all metal ones.Just replace it with a plastic one.Probably got chewed up when tranny filter goot sucked into pump.

NRath

#17 Post by NRath »

It's kinda' hard to tell for sure from the pic, but it doesn't look very bad. You could probably get by with a file and about an hour of your time. Looks like over at about 1 or 2 o'clock is the worst of it, right?

Personally, I like to keep the motor in the cradle while I'm working on it- gives it a nice steady platform. Leave the bolt(s) in the motor to cradle joint and stick something (socket, block of wood) between the bottom of the case and the cradle to tilt it up a little to clear the cradle rails. Just a thought, what you've got may be working well for you. That motor really is a piece of cake to work on!

Kuma

#18 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (kevin444 @ May 2 2009, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i can tell that you've been dealing with Dave with all the very organized baggies hanging everywhere, that was my life for a couple of weeks. I recently picked one of these bad !@# quads and did a complete over haul from the crank up with the help of many folks here on the site and Dave "Boomer" helping with all the parts and tolls needed "still got a small bearing puller" that he sent to me at no charge; thanks again real stand up guy!

Good luck with the build...i've recently hit Amargossa dunes for the first time and had a blast with the dale......

have fun, and don't hesitate to ask questions, this is a dale and nothing like any other jappy.....

Kevin

Kevin,
do you meen Dumont or did you not make it over there?

Z4J

#19 Post by Z4J »

Thanks for the input. The gear is a bit more beat than the first photos shows. It's going to get scrapped. What's the price of a plastic and who's got them?
All for putting the engine back in the cradle. The cradle needed to be cleaned though as it was a mess.

kevin444

#20 Post by kevin444 »

QUOTE (Kuma @ May 4 2009, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kevin,
do you meen Dumont or did you not make it over there?

no, i have not made it to Dumont yet. I was at Amargosa, both are 90miles from vegas in either direction. What was nice was there was only like 10-15 groups on a awsome sunday, and from what i'm told it's always like that at Amargosa. Looking forward to hitting Dumont, though. If you've seen my posts and know my story i've been through the whole dale rebuild and finally got a her running soild, both motor and just recently suspension with the help of "ray" $20 for some softer springs! either way really having fun on this machine and planning on picking another from a local for like $400 hopefully in the near future....

sorry to take away from your story.....Z4J.......wait until its finished though!

Kevin