Dune Trip

cannondalemaine

#1 Post by cannondalemaine »

Hey all a couple of buddies and I are planning to take a dune trip next month. This will actually be our first trip since we are so far away, I was wondering which dunes you guys would suggest and maybe if any of you will be going. I am the only one of my friends with a cannondale but i will be bringing that and my honda. Please let me know what you think. Maybe you might know some close places to stay, we hike so i dont mind bringing a tent. Thanks

kevin444

#2 Post by kevin444 »

well out here in vegas, nevada we have many, many awesome dunes to ride. Amargosa, Dumont, Apex, Sand Hollow, Little Sahara....etc.....let me know if you make it this way.....

cdsracer

#3 Post by cdsracer »

I might be biased since I'm in Idaho now, but St. Anthony's are the best dunes I've ridden. The dunes are big, smooth and uncrowded.

Glamis and Dumont are fun, lots of people.

The Oregon coast is a blast...small dunes that are well patrolled.

Sand Mountain, NV is great in the cool weather, good size dune. BLM is making it smaller with restrictions.

Pismo is tiny, I wouldn't waste my time there anymore.

I've heard good things about Utah and Wyoming but I haven't tried them yet.

cannondalemaine

#4 Post by cannondalemaine »

We have been throwing around the idea of little sahara oklahoma. Anybody been there? Would love to make a trip to glamis but it is over a 3000 mile drive for us.

67z400

#5 Post by 67z400 »

I have been to two sand dunes, Little Sahara in Waynoka,OK and St. Anthonys in Idaho.

Little Sahara is okay, 50-70 ft dune peaks.

St. Anthonys is awesome!!! Average dune height is 200-300 ft tall with max heights in the 400-500 ft range. The area at St. Anthony is probally ten times larger than Little Sahara.

big.elk.hunter

#6 Post by big.elk.hunter »

St Anthony is great, but I would not go next month. it is cold and the sand would be wet and rough mayber even covered in snow. It would be better to wait til may or june, or july, though it can get hot there in the summer.

Kuma

#7 Post by Kuma »

Hook up with c'27 and come on out to Glamis, weather is good. if you don't come out on a holiday weekend the crowd's not bad, come out on a week day and you will feel like you're by yourself!

jesshamner

#8 Post by jesshamner »

Glamis is sweet! Not the biggest dunes but tons of acreage. If you like it party, go on a holiday weekend. If you don't like all the people but still want to ride, go the weekend before a holiday. I was there a week before President's day and I felt like we pretty much had the place to ourselves.