Indy Dealer Show

MX Quad Dad

#121 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I agree with UpsMan. I don't think we should just sit aside and wait for someone to spend thier hard earned money and find out the claims were bogus. I trust Wisetech's, timbo's and 27's opinion and work.

Highland did fess-up and admitt it was a short life and limited powerband engine that gave them those numbers, which is good, real good in my opinion. I also wished them luck. but like UpsMan said we are the customer base they are looking at. and the least we can do for them is to let them know what we will tolerate. because if the type of customers they are looking for won't buy it. they might as well stick with the jap's marketing technics and cheepen it up to battle with them for sales.

jesshamner

#122 Post by jesshamner »

I don't think we should allow them to screw people over either. But they aren't even close to that yet. They have 1 prototype so far. Don't go basing your judgement on a stupid DirtWheels article. Or what they claim their engine (that hasn't been finished yet) can do in the HP department. Better yet, don't judge at all until you have grabbed the handlebars yourself.

And we are not their target customers. Why would they target a VERY small, tight knit community, that has a strange obsession with a dying breed of atv? You underestimate the kids over at atvriders. Sure a lot of them can't afford to buy something like a highly specialized quad and they buy what their friends are buying. But Richie Rich lives over at atvriders as well. You know, the guy that shows up to the track with all the latest and greatest with a completely decked out quad but can't ride worth a $h!t.

Happyboy

#123 Post by Happyboy »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Feb 25 2010, 08:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know, the guy that shows up to the track with all the latest and greatest with a completely decked out quad but can't ride worth a $h!t.

Hey now, stop pointing fingers. biggrin.gif

But yeah, society today is riddled with people who expect their wants and needs to be met for no reason at all. They haven't earned it but they act like you owe them something. And that sure is what it looks like today. Being skeptic is one thing, there were way to many people bagging on them in this thread to expect them to ever come back here again.

Something many of you are missing is we could have a potential sponser in highland. If their first 200 quads will be based on a cannondale and their future frame is still in the works then maybe we could work together in some form and then reap the benifits of having a cannondale chassis on the market.

kdeal

#124 Post by kdeal »

Do any of you know what a boutique motorcycle company is? That is exactly what kind of company ATK was before Frank White bought them. Most of you are too young to remember or possibly did not hear about them before your Cannondale days. That is what Highland USA is and probably will remain.

This means several things. They are going to build to order. That means production will always be very low. In fact per the head guy there target is about 200 units per model. They want to ultimately work up to no more than 3,000 units per year. This will let them fly under the radar of several EPA laws and regulations. That is why they want to bring out the 700cc 2-stroke motor....because they can!

In fact if they weren't using a Cannondale frame on the quad how many of you would even be talking about this? Where is the thread on all the other small companys making unique quads and off road bikes?

Jess, as far as the motor being not done? That is not true. This motor design has ran for over 10 years. They were bothered by FI problems, which they have fixed on several of the models, but I have read twice now that they still had a problem (on the 507cc motorcycle and one other). But I wonder if the chronological order is the same as the articles as we have been reading them. Since one magazine bragged about how smooth one of the FI curves was on the motorcycle (450cc). They have been playing with three different motors a 450cc single, 507cc single and a 900cc twin. I know there are other sizes, but I have heard the most and the best about the 450cc single. I have also been told you can tell the 450 and 507 apart from outside the motor.

In a nutshell, no matter how awesome or horrible these turn out, the impact is most likely going to be very minimal to the racing you all love so dearly. As an example, I watched as an ATK 560 motored bike destroyed the field at the 4 stroke Nationals many years ago in CA, but I never saw the bike make an impact anywhere else. The motor on the otherhand was the king of the flat tracks...... just ask a fellow named Ron Wood.

claas900

#125 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Feb 24 2010, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm putting this motor in my Dale....

[attachment=10003:GP500_white_2.jpg]

Where have I seen this pic before?

jesshamner

#126 Post by jesshamner »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Feb 25 2010, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jess, as far as the motor being not done? That is not true. This motor design has ran for over 10 years. They were bothered by FI problems, which they have fixed on several of the models, but I have read twice now that they still had a problem (on the 507cc motorcycle and one other). But I wonder if the chronological order is the same as the articles as we have been reading them. Since one magazine bragged about how smooth one of the FI curves was on the motorcycle (450cc). They have been playing with three different motors a 450cc single, 507cc single and a 900cc twin. I know there are other sizes, but I have heard the most and the best about the 450cc single. I have also been told you can tell the 450 and 507 apart from outside the motor.

Ok, so technically the motor has been produced. But being an analyst for a living forces to me try and think through all aspects for the final product which includes doing QC and QA or in this case, product testing. I have yet to see more than one 450cc quad and no 507cc quad. That's all I'm saying. The motor isn't done until it has been proven in a working model.

I don't think there is any question as to how I feel about this quad. I want to see it produced so we can have more parts for our machines. If I need a new motor eventually, it would be nice to have something to go in my frame.

Supermotodad51

#127 Post by Supermotodad51 »

You have my curosity up.
Why are cannondale ATV owners The Target market for Highland ATV's??
I totaly do not get the conection.
Dont get me Wrong,I am a Cdale owner /racer as well.
I just cant make the target market conection?
I get the after market parts potential,especialy if after there supply of Alum.frames runs out they maintain the same geomitry with the new SS frame, which is by the way significantly lighter than Alum. and equal to or superior to CM.
Thanks for the forthcomming explanation.
Thanks!

kdeal

#128 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (supermotodad51 @ Feb 25 2010, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
............by the way significantly lighter than Alum. and equal to or superior to CM.
Thanks for the forthcomming explanation.
Thanks!

The new stainless steel frame will be lighter than aluminum and equal to or superior to chromoloy???

laugh.gif

jinx44

#129 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Feb 25 2010, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The new stainless steel frame will be lighter than aluminum and equal to or superior to chromoloy???

laugh.gif

I was thinking the same. I want to see it turn out lighter and as strong as CM.

z-mann

#130 Post by z-mann »

wow....