Say A Special Prayer For Boomer & his family......

customcarguy247

#11 Post by customcarguy247 »

sorry for your loss my prayers go out to you and your family i lost my father two years ago and know how tuff it is to go through yhe loss of a loved one

speedracer

#12 Post by speedracer »

Sorry for you loss Dave.

Canniboomer

#13 Post by Canniboomer »

Hey fellas,....thanks so much to everyone out there.

Yes it was quite a shock to suddenly lose him, and just after he made it through his 85th Christmas. My dad was slammed with a stroke a few years ago, and he had some lingering complications from that ordeal. But up until that time, he was said to have never been sick a day in his life -- at least my 4 brothers and I don't remember him ever missing a day of work, or a schooling event, or a chance to take us camping, or just off to an old Mexican food joint in the Arizona desert.

It's sad that we are losing so many WWII veterans every day now. But he had a wonderful life. He joined the AirForce at age 17 and earned his pilot wings aboard Steermans and 4-engine bombers. Since he did so well as a pilot, they held him back as a flight instructor..... But that made him so anxious, while his buddies and some senior instructors were rushed overseas to various campaigns, and to various fates. And then just when the war ended, he was in uniform on a train to California, with deployment orders to the Pacific as a co-pilot on the famed B-29. So instead of flying to drop more bombs on Japan, he then tracked down my Mom to propose. He then learned to drive a car!, and got his license......that was some 65 years back. Then wow,... just lots of more stories to tell since that time -- like we can all tell about our parents. I think it helps to work, to talk, and to recall good memories.

The VA has always been very supportive to my father, and there will be a nice memorial for him down in Scottsdale, in a couple of weeks. A local club will be contributing a Missing Man Fly-over. We will send him off right, for a happier tribute after the tears.

It's so nice to have the forum of friends here, and to share a few remarks. I really do appreciate it. Dave

Dachshund

#14 Post by Dachshund »

Your Father was indeed a hero, Dave. Thoughts and prayers go out for you and your family.

Stephen.

Happyboy

#15 Post by Happyboy »

Sorry for the news, glad he had a long full life.