Traction Control in Motorcross?

DIRT

#11 Post by DIRT »

QUOTE (speedracer @ Jan 18 2011, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did you see Stewarts reply when he was asked about a tc device on his post race interview,kinda caught him off guard.Does Bubba really need help to win races? wacko.gif

I agree ...lol come on he said I think you guys saw a piece of dirt on my bike. Yup he's fast but odd how they said he never ran hard through the corners.

jacobw

#12 Post by jacobw »

QUOTE (DIRT @ Jan 18 2011, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree ...lol come on he said I think you guys saw a piece of dirt on my bike. Yup he's fast but odd how they said he never ran hard through the corners.

the track was real crappy wouldnt hold lines, all he was doing was riding smart finishin the race. He may not even know what the factory mechanics are doing to his bike, i would say they need to ask his mechanic or team manager, and really who cares, its data acquisition, they are prob using it for gearing changes, or even tire selection see which ones gets better grip

Scooter

#13 Post by Scooter »

You do not need any external sensors to do traction control. It can all be done in the ECU. You have throttle position, speed it is opening and engine speed. All of the info without external wheel speed sensors. That is how it was done more than 10 years ago. They are probably looking at clutch slip with the daq.

Scooter

cannondale27

#14 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes but thats not true full traction control. True "full" traction control the wheel speed=ground speed. For that you must know the ground speed. So you would need 2 sensors to show the difference. Probably also need brake control. Truck even on ice you could put your foot right to the floor and it would not spin a tire just slowly accelerate as truck got moving.

Scooter

#15 Post by Scooter »

Not exactly, it can be done as long as you know the max accel rates for each gear. You simply do not let it exceed that rate. It is simple but very effective, tried and proven.

Scooter

NRath

#16 Post by NRath »

I saw the Stewart thing last weekend as well. I'm backing Scooter on this one, to a point. I'm completely confident wheelspin can be significantly reduced without the additional sensors 27 is talking about. But to Steve's point, the additional sensors would be required to prevent any slip at all while providing maximum acceleration, like cars do. That's because the delta between actual wheelspeed (front tire) and driven wheelspeed (rear tire) is so small. In the dirt, you could significantly reduce wheelspin without reaching the threshold of no wheelspin at all.

I'm sure that James was receiving a benefit from his DAQ that the rest of the field wasn't. But was it cheating? There's no doubt the AMA knew it was there, so it must not be. And, any other team could be doing the same thing, just aren't..... Yet! Without a doubt, we'll be hearing more about it.

kdeal

#17 Post by kdeal »

Sorry to throw a monkey in the wrench, but what about when the front tire is off of the ground?

cannondale27

#18 Post by cannondale27 »

It would cut power and force it back down since tire in air is slower. Like I said I wouldn't want it all the time!

MX Quad Dad

#19 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Ken, that might be something to think about but, what about a jump and you start to nose down and need to rev to correct? maybe a sensor to bypass with forks fully extended?

jinx44

#20 Post by jinx44 »

Here is an explaination from Davis Technologies, one of the leaders in automotive traction controls. They use crankshaft position sensors to calculate slip based on acceleration rate of the crankshaft.

http://www.moretraction.com/traction.htm