Exhaust System Survey

pcleiter

#11 Post by pcleiter »

I'm still drooling over Wistech's duals... I'd seriously pay (and pay seriously) for that more than I would a replacement single exhaust.

But getting back to reality, I second HappyBoys idea - an adapter header/pipe that would allow us to use another existing popular can.

Brad Oakley

#12 Post by Brad Oakley »

It's Tuesday morning. I'm in SoCal. I'll be visiting two silencer manufacturers in the next few hours. I'll bring up the adaptor idea as I go over things with them. Hopefully I'll be back on-line this evening and update ya'all with what I find out. Keep the ideas and opinions coming! This is VERY helpful!!!!

Oh... I was at Lonestar yesterday. I may have something VERY cool coming for our quads!

canniballz

#13 Post by canniballz »

I bought a fmf slip-on off of boomer(dave m.) back in 2009 that he designed to go with stock 03 header. I love it, Works awsome and i have not had any problems. Very reliable.

kdeal

#14 Post by kdeal »

Another issue: IF they can come up with some sort of adapter what "common" muffler do you make it fit? Remember, most manufacturers change their muffler can designs every few years, so any adapter will be a short term fit as well.

peterock

#15 Post by peterock »

I would say the adapter idea is the best as well. Lots of money tied up in a basically one-ff custom exhaust for these machines. Theres a reason why places like HMF don't offer them anymore.

kdeal

#16 Post by kdeal »

I think everyone is kind of missing the point here. Let's say we go the adapter route. What "popular muffler" do we make it fit? Maybe we should make it fit the FMF TI muffler, since that was such a killer muffler for us! Oh wait a minute, they don't make that muffler any more. Better yet, let's make it fit the muffler with the cool graphics on it that ATK used! They were cool looking! Oh wait a minute, I think they aren't around any more....

We are not talking about using an application like the 450r muffler here, we are talking about making it fit a performance aftermarket muffler. There is no guarantee that it will be around tomorrow. The idea Pete had on the using the 450r axle design for a locknut was brilliant because you are using the application design no matter who makes it. In this case it does not apply, unless you wanted to use the factory 450r muffler.

We need to stop thinking so cheap and think what would make a good design. Just ask Cannondale27 with the pains and headaches he went thru with Aaen to make a good performance muffler.

I honestly believe that with a rare exception there is not a single person who has responded to this thread would ever buy either design! Fortunately for Brad he gets a ton of people asking every day for performance exhaust systems and or mufflers. Brad has painsakenly went to the trouble of listening to the forums when the first exhaust system was made. We had a lot of good ideas but in the end, execution of the design of the product (a whole exhaust system) went flat. I loved the muffler, but.......

I brought up the idea to use an aftermarket can on the stock toaster header due to availablity of the header and the simple design (straight thru) of the system. It is not the highest performing pipe ever made for the Cannondale (hence why I said most of the repliers here would not buy it), but it is available and saves us from having to reproduce a headpipe for an exhaust system.

How many of you have a stock Cannondale '02 or '03 headpipe, or better yet a FMF Ti pipe with an aftermarket exhaust can? Please don't all raise your hands at once...... I rest my case. tongue.gif

jesshamner

#17 Post by jesshamner »

I wasn't thinking cheap. I was thinking long run. If there was an adapter pipe for something like a 450r can, then we can always get cans. And if 2 aftermarket companies make a 450r slipon can, then we have options. Of course you're right about one thing...I probably won't buy one now. I have an HMF and I don't plan on swapping it out any time soon. But, I still have my 03 header so if I ever need a new can, I might be able to use Brad's design. That's what I have an interest in this.

I don't know if it was the best performing pipe, but I know it was probably the loudest...I'm talking about Thomez and Farrar's supertrapp adaptation. They were able to use supertrapp cans and adapt a cone to fit the cdale. I thought it would be nice if we could find a popular model (yfz/450r) can to adapt so they are plentiful. Of course it would have to be short enough for our application.

jesshamner

#18 Post by jesshamner »

I should also add that I'm aware that the adaption of a another model can may not be possible.

kdeal

#19 Post by kdeal »

Jess,

I understand your thought. But, let's use your example. We make something that fits a 450r can. From what aftermarket comany do you choose? HMF, FMF, DMC, etc. Remember we are taking about the can not the fitment here. I am not aware of a single perfromance muffler for a performance quad that uses a straight thru design. Almost every application uses a bend into the can (like the 2001 head pipe did on your quad).

We are not talking about an application 450R, LT450, etc. We are talking about an aftermarket company's design where we can use the can with our adapter and probably replace the input plate and pipe (if it isn't welded on or part of a bigger assembly), remember we are using the '03 header here. I honestly believe the only cheaper way to do this is with a pre-made (existing) universal muffler that fits our head pipe diameter and is short enough to not hang out the back. Otherwise a can like Brad is suggesting is the only way (with the '03 head pipe). Now if everyone is willing to pony up even more money, we can build a headpipe too!

jesshamner

#20 Post by jesshamner »

I was under the impression that most aftermarket companies made pipes to fit the stock header of most popular models. If that is true, then a lot of aftermarket cans would be about the same from the header out to the can.

Like I said, Thomez had mentioned to me before the similarities between the hmf header and the 03 header. They look almost identical if I remember correctly. They might have had a different inside diameter but the length and shape were about the same.

I guess another hurdle would be that our exhaust is on the left and most others are on the right.

I'm just talking this out for debate and explore the downfalls and possibilities. If it doesn't work for any reason, lets get those out in the open and completely eliminate those ideas.