Automotive diagnostic software scanner tool?

wistech

#11 Post by wistech »

Our IT department supplied us with those fancy new workpad station service devices which cost several thousand buck each . I told them to make sure to get the ford rotunda setup on it because our laptop can already do everything for the IH,ABS and allison trannies. They said we didnt have enough Fords and GM's in the fleet to justify buying the software. To bad they wasted it all on the power book we didnt need. wacko.gif
For the last few years any trouble code went to the dealer for the minimum $100 a pop charge just to get the codes. Then bring it back so I could fix it .LOL.

wistech

#12 Post by wistech »

The scan box came in. I had a problem getting it work on my new laptop because the software only uses com ports 1 thru 8 and my bluetooth device is listed as number 12 on the computer so it wouldnt talk to the module. So i broke out the old Cannondale laptop from 2000 and got it to function. It works. There are a half dozen free programs you can use on the disc that come with the module . It pulls up codes and rerads out realtime data on most all sensors on my avalanche. The battery died on the laptop so I didnt get to use it on anything else. I just need to figure out how to rename com ports so I can use it on a better laptop.

haulinit

#13 Post by haulinit »

awesome sounds like a good deal, glad it worked out.

rayspeed

#14 Post by rayspeed »

I wonder if there is any software currently or might be in the future that would allow you to capture your stock program and reload a performance tune and change wheel sizes and shift points and such like the hand held programmers?
Now that would really be the shiz!

jinx44

#15 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (rayspeed @ Apr 5 2011, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wonder if there is any software currently or might be in the future that would allow you to capture your stock program and reload a performance tune and change wheel sizes and shift points and such like the hand held programmers?

Various ones out there. Cheap ones are not user friendly for beginners. Something like HP tuners is a good setup, but is pretty much limited to GM and some '05-up Ford.

All of the handheld flash devices capture your stock calibration and allow you to change the items you mentioned. SCT is one of the best when it comes to flashing and software. Its big $$$. I have over a grand in the software and handheld to tune ONE vehicle.

haulinit

#16 Post by haulinit »

QUOTE (rayspeed @ Apr 5 2011, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like jinx said I run EFILive it is limited to only GM products but I can rewrite the factory parameters, but like he said it is not cheap. I'm getting close to grand in stuff also. you can download the software for free and have a look around efilive.com.

jinx44

#17 Post by jinx44 »

There is software that I was going to mention if I could remember the name of it, but still can't. Its cheap and works on anything OBD-II. You can change any parameter in the factory ECM strategy. However, there is no definition of the parameters. So you have to know and remember what each code relates to. With literally thousands of parameters in the ECM, that would be difficult.

Thats why I said earlier that there are softwares out there, but few that are truely user friendly. And you pay for those.

haulinit

#18 Post by haulinit »

Check out moates.com They have all kinds of tuning and data logging stuff.

jinx44

#19 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (haulinit @ Apr 6 2011, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Check out moates.com They have all kinds of tuning and data logging stuff.

I have used Moates on OBD-I. As well as TwEECer.

claas900

#20 Post by claas900 »

I was going to get a SCT for "my wifes" 09 ford edge. But for $400 and I'm sure the excratded 20hp increase at 6000rpms and with less then 2hp increase anything below 3,500 rpms and still none dyno proofing the numbers and just couldn't justify it. I did install some H@R springs that I'm going to take right back out. This car is a nice ride I want to keep it that way only with 500hp and a way to truly turn off the TC. wink.gif