Turning over a new leaf

jesshamner

#1 Post by jesshamner »

Well, I was sad to see it go. We have been through a lot. And it has led me to a great group of people, but the Cannondale is gone. I refuse to start a goodbye thread. I started to write one but I scrapped it because I just can't do it. You guys are awesome and even though I'm not on a Cannondale, I hope to meet up and ride with you all whenever possible. I will still be at the group ride this year and it looks like I'm bringing a group with me. You guys have starting something there that is unlike any other riding experience out there. The only difference this year is that I will be on a Honda. I will have a few parts with me to get rid of. I just want to say thanks to everyone that has helped me in the Cannondale world. I would have never owned or kept a Cannondale if it wasn't for this group of people.

So without further delay, here is the new ride. I know, it looks like every other quad out there. But it just fits me the best.

Here is how it looked when I got it home...

This is what it looks like now...

The bumper is getting glass bead blasted so I can put a coat of satin black on it.

cannondalemaine

#2 Post by cannondalemaine »

Nice honda, what year did you go with? I bought an 04 Mx built for $3000 when I broke me case. Would have to say I am very pleased with how it handles and flys but could use a little more power but a ported head and cam should do it wonders. Sorry to hijack lol

marshall100

#3 Post by marshall100 »

Nice, and I understand how difficult a decision it must have been as I've been mulling over a similar thing as I type.

I think I'd go Honda as well at some point which would be in complete contrast to the two I have now. I can't see anyone ever giving me the right amount of money for my cannondale so I dare say I'll put it into storage. The gasgas on the other hand might just turn out to be the all round quad I've been looking for, but not with the woeful parts supply experience's I've had so far.

I'd consider a can am as well, even if it does appear to be the rightful successor to where the cannondale stopped, warts and all!

Happyboy

#4 Post by Happyboy »

I. Cringed when I saw the first picture and was relieved when I saw the second. Stock sucks. Hehe. Enjoy man, its a nice quad, outside of being a Honda at least. tongue.gif

jesshamner

#5 Post by jesshamner »

Thanks for the comments guys. Its an 05 and running a stock motor...at the moment. It definitely needs to be geared down a tooth on the countersprocket. It has JD performance +1 std travel arms and elka piggybacks on the front. I'm not sure what "stage" they are yet. The rear has a GT Thunder XC link and a Jet Suspension reworked stock shock. I'm sitting at 7.5 inches right now and it is hands down a better handling quad than my Cannondale. It also has a Precision stabilizer and Arens fat bars on it now. The AC bumper is now black to match the grab bar too.

I was able to take it out last night for a test ride with Whitezee and my buddy Zeb (some of you know both of them), and it worked really well. It fits my riding style with the exception of the tall gearing and having to remember to miss neutral when shifting. One other thing I'm going to have to get used to is the low center of gravity and having to kick start it when it stalls out on me. I got stuck on a big rock last night and then killed it trying to get off. There was definitely a learning curve there.

Marshall, I looked at a yamaha really hard but the replacement really just came down to what people were willing to trade. As usual money is tight. If I could have chosen anything, I probably would have bought a Can Am XC that I had my eyes on. I really like the way they feel. The yfz is just a little short in the seat to pegs area. I felt cramped. I don't really like the LTR. The KFX is a little too tippy and parts aren't as plentiful like the yamaha and honda, and KTM is just way too expensive to replace parts. Honda was the natural choice. It fits, its fast, it has smooth power, and handles well.

Dude54758

#6 Post by Dude54758 »

Crank will let go or should i say thrust washers. Its just like the dale. Honda put out the service kit. so be aware. Its not if but when. thankfully its not that hard of a job if you do it now.

jesshamner

#7 Post by jesshamner »

Yeah, I've heard about it. Thanks for the heads up.

cannondalemaine

#8 Post by cannondalemaine »

I have done lots of research on the Honda, true the crank bearing let go but that was only a bad batch of bearings where customers only got a few hours. Now the other ones that let go had 200 plus hours of riding so I'd have to say these bearings are nothing like the junk Dale bearings we got. I had an 04 Honda before and I put at least 150 hours after first owner. My friend has it now and races motos with me and no shavings at all runs like a champ. Also if your gonna put a head on think about a 43mm bored fcr carb. Will do wonders along with a stge 2 cam. My Honda with area 51 ported head and cam is pushing 54 hp. Not as much as my dales but enough for the Mx track where I use it. Good luck with your Honda. If you change the head check and double check your timing because they will run with one tooth off but will sound like a jetting issue

jesshamner

#10 Post by jesshamner »

I'm thinking about a hotcams stage 2. They'd probably all the motor mods I will do. Big hp had never really been my thing. I just want a strong reliable trail runner that can be raced on occasion. Although the occasional racing has become nonexistent lately.