Motor cutting out.

Birddog5150

Motor cutting out.

#1 Post by Birddog5150 »

This weekend went riding, My Cannibal started cutting out after about half throttle..I would be riding and get into second gear and quad would start to fall on its face..Sometimes it would die and it backfired a couple times..I changed fuel filter, didnt help.I didnt have time to do plug check and change, and also I didnt clean air filter before riding..It wasnt to bad,it was my third ride without cleaning air filter, only about 7-8 hours since cleaned..After it would stall or I shut it down, it would start fine..I also had battery on charge the night before and it read fully charged..Any idea what it sounds like??? Please advise,I would appreciate the help..I'm thinking plug needs changed..:confused:

dean foster

#2 Post by dean foster »

Mine is do ing the same thing, I have a 03 cannibal with a SB stage one kit. I noticed it while breaking it in, I called south bay and they asked if I had to jump it to get it started which I did. They said that doing this may have put a glitch in the maping or that it could be the spark plug. well since I don't have a diagnostic kit, I tried changing the spark plug and that didn't help, I checked all of my connections and screws around the air box and everything seemed fine. So I'm currently riding it with this problem hoping that it is not hurting the motor. I need to run diognostic on it to see if it is the mapping or not, so you might check that out :confused: Other than that I'm just going to ride mine like it is.

Birddog5150

#3 Post by Birddog5150 »

Thanks for the reply, I used a jumper pack to start, but have done that before, so I dont foul plug with weak battery starting..
I then charged overnight and it took a full charge..I am still thinking plug,just havent had a chance to check it..If all else fails I will take to stealer and have them check all my settings..

Mjollnir

#4 Post by Mjollnir »

Birddog, sounds like exactly the problem I had one day. Checked EVERYTHING then felt like a real idiot when I found a loose pos. battery cable. These things act real strange when they don't get 100% pure clean power. I would check the cables, if they aren't obviously loose, you might pull them off, clean the terminals, use dielectric grease and tighten them down good.

Your problem definately sounds electrical.

That's my 2 cents...

Birddog5150

#5 Post by Birddog5150 »

Thanks Mj..I will try that....Hopefully you are correct..

4punksdad

#6 Post by 4punksdad »

when mine fouls a plug.............its all over. she wont run at all.

Jammer72

#7 Post by Jammer72 »

Yep a fouled plug kills em quick. Low battery voltage leads to quick fouled plugs.sad.gif

Jennys440dale

#8 Post by Jennys440dale »

Originally posted by Mjollnir
Birddog, sounds like exactly the problem I had one day. Checked EVERYTHING then felt like a real idiot when I found a loose pos. battery cable. These things act real strange when they don't get 100% pure clean power. I would check the cables,  if they aren't obviously loose, you might pull them off, clean the terminals, use dielectric grease and tighten them down good.

Your problem definately sounds electrical.

That's my 2 cents...

HA! Glad I wasn't the only person to have this problem! I felt like such an :w: when it happened to me. I was up at Silver Lake and I lost about 4 hours of riding time, changing the spark plug, changing the fuel filter, draining the gas, taking the plastic on and off. I was one mad chic!!

Come to find out, I had a loose terminal on the battery. I was so mad! The quad was only in it's 3rd or 4th hour of break in and I had to tear it apart already. I did learn how to take apart and put back together a cannondale that day though!

pdavis

#9 Post by pdavis »

Had the same prob, all battery terminals are aluminum and will oxidize, take off all terminals and clean till you are back to clean metal, that did the trick for me ... no more cutting out

Birddog5150

#10 Post by Birddog5150 »

Thanks to everyone for the replies..I will check all connections this weekend..biggrin.gif

It is a great feeling to know you can come here for such help and feedback on certain maps,mods and products..
Thanks again to Cannondaleriders.com... :clap: