Worst. Bikes. Ever.

joedirt

#1 Post by joedirt »

rayspeed

#2 Post by rayspeed »

That was witty and entertaining writing for those that get thru it. I think they were fairly factual and kind when they got to the cannondale at near bottom of the list... I was worried as they were pretty brutal at times.

MX Quad Dad

#3 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Its funny to me to read stuff like this. I just wonder how many of these bikes this guy has actually seen running let alone how many he has actually ridden. I raced Suzuki, mainly because I had a good dealer close by so I would say I have fair knowlage on the TMs. I think I was in my second year of MX when the TM400 hit the showroom. I never got the chance to throw a leg over the first year TM400 but My brother in-law showed up with a brand new 1975 TM400 after I had bought a RM370 and I got the chance to ride them side by side and I couldn't wait to get my RM back. I admit the power spikes on that TM were scary but I believe it was the first bike with the PEI ignition and it was reliable in every bike I owned and probably was the leading edge for all dirt bikes, it just took a little to work the bugs out of it. The other thing this guy says makes it sound like the TM's were the same as the zuk's factory bikes. I'm not sure what the 1971 factory bikes looked like but when I was racing I had seen pic's of Joel and Roger's factory bikes and they looked nothing like what you could buy at the dealer.They're bikes looked a lot like the RMs way before the RM's hit the showrooms. I did race a TM250 and did fairly well with it stock (other than cutting the rats nest out of the pipe). When the TM125's came out they were in the top finishing places for quite a while around here.

His cannondale bashing sound a lot like what was printed in the rags. Is/was the power band that bad on the bikes? It seems to me a lot of the dyno guru's here have been able to get a decent power-curve out of these and I haven't seen any longer pipes used. Another thing these guys tend to not mention is that the MX400 came out and the end of the two stroke era wasn't even accepted as possibly being over. and these writers weren't riders of any talent or they would have been racers not writers. so its for sure they weren't one of the riders trying to find the advantages of the thumpers and their rideing ability or should i say unability could have been part of the reason for bikes blowing up. I for one will admit to loosing an engine on my RM370 tryihg to ride it like a 125. even though I had it set up to pull pretty good from the bottom to the top RPMs it didn't like to spend much time in the upper RPMs.

Is it just me or does this guy favor the Hondas? After every bad one he goes on to say how Honda corrected the problem to a bit of an extreme.

marshall100

#4 Post by marshall100 »

I was quite suprised reading this, was the MX400 really that much of a problem with power delivery?

The one thing I've noticed with my quad is that it's never been an issue and to this day is miles ahead of any of the jap quads in terms of throttle response.

promod

#5 Post by promod »

Just look at the other weird and exotic bikes i own, collect and always rode and still ride! Seems like all of them would have also been on the list! laugh.gif