What wheels & tires to go with for sand?

3YLSYKR

#1 Post by 3YLSYKR »

I am trying to figure out what will work best for size on front and rear for sand.

I wanna do some Douglas blue label wheels in the back. I was told 8" or 9" diameter only. Would 8x8 wheels be best for rear and 10x5 fronts red label so don't bend since take more impact?

I was thinking skat trak haulers 8 paddle for rear and AMS sand snake tires on fronts like 21-7-10. They are like smoothies but with lines of tread for better control without a mohawk. I see they make a 9 and 10 paddle but that would be too much drag and low end restriction. I have seen 6 and 7 paddle and it might spin them up quicker than the 8 paddle but might not have as good top end.

What wheels and tires do you use for sand? What do you think is best and recommend?

speedracer

#2 Post by speedracer »

I use 4-snows,work well for me.I have never tried skat-trak tires,I dont like sandstars V paddles,seem to rob power.

rayspeed

#3 Post by rayspeed »

As for wheels you can go as light as possible if you run them only in sand with no chance of getting into anything hard. I have never bent a wheel at glamis but at the cinders I have bent the fairly stout t-9's by hitting tree roots or rocks. As for tires I prefer the molded v-paddles because they last for years and years and I do way more duning than drag racing. The problem with straight paddles is that when you get on the power while sliding they spin to a point and hook up suddenly so the front end comes up and like it or not you are suddenly going straight with your weight in the wrong position and can lead to a pitch off.
The straight paddles are certainly the ticket for straight line racing tho... I rode with a guy that had a hopped up 450 suzuki and if we had the same v paddles on I could beat him every time but when he spent big bucks on some extreme haulers I could get him out of the hole but half way up the hill he would catch me and walk away. If you are on a budget I hear that the molded glider straight paddles are the best bang for the buck. The 8 inch rims and gliders are super quick but all of that extra side wall ends up giving you alot of uncontrolled spring so they are not the best for jumping or pounding thru the whoops fast.