Bike dies mid-ride. Please Help.

will_b72

#1 Post by will_b72 »

I have a 2002 X440s and recently I've been having issues with it dieing about 5 minutes after I start riding. As soon as I stop it will fire right up again but then die soon after that and continue to do that until I get back home. The thing I think is really weird is that If I bump the starter button right after it dies it will start back up. I dont know what to do? Ive tracked down every connector and put di-electric grease on all of them and made sure they are connected securly because to me it seems like an electrical thing. I'm at a dead end. Any suggestions????

puggi

#2 Post by puggi »

The red kill switch is known to be a problem on the early bikes. I think they have a weak spring keeping the contacts apart. The computer shuts down (no spark or injector pulses) as soon as the kill switch contacts touch. Bumping the green start button turns the computer back on.

will_b72

#3 Post by will_b72 »

Ok I'll check that out. Thanks.

exotic rider

#4 Post by exotic rider »

If that does turn out to be the issue,Boomer
has a awesome switch available that eleminates the two switch set up and replaces with just one for on off and e start for fairly cheap money.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Also check the power relay.I am not sure if on bike it can be removed.I think it depends on your harness version.

who_gives_a6

#6 Post by who_gives_a6 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Oct 29 2012, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also check the power relay.I am not sure if on bike it can be removed.I think it depends on your harness version.

Both my bikes are 02 and have different harnesses but neither has any power without the relay in. Worth a shot though.

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

If thats the case then just replace the relay with new since they are a known weak point and will cause the exact symptoms you describe.