Befuddled

Brad Oakley

#1 Post by Brad Oakley »

So, I'm trying to bring a quad back to life, and had something VERY bizarre happen. I've been through all the systems and finally concluded that the problem is in the ignition. So, I pull the coil/plug and set it up on the subframe to watch the spark. Looks like a freakin' taser going off. About 8 pulses per engine rotation - nonstop. So, I throw in a new coil. And. NOTHING. No spark at all. Now, I have a few resources, so I try four more new coils. Then, two used ones that I had tested so I know that they were good. Then, finally, for giggles, one old crappy one that has been floating around on a shelf. Again, NOTHING. Throw the original one back in and I'm back to machine-gun sparks.

As I type this, I realize that it's probably the original coil (Old Sparky) that's defective and the other eight are working okay. So the problem is in the ECU. When I get to the shop again I'll set up a new ECU and try that.

Your thoughts/advice???

MX Quad Dad

#2 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I've had spark like that. I don't believe on my dales but one for sure was a honda 500 street bike with aftermarket electronic ignition. It ended up being something to do with the battery charger I had hooked up to it while cranking, Unhooked it and problem was solved. Doubt that is your problem because its only the one coil.

rayspeed

#3 Post by rayspeed »

I would pull out the crank trigger sensor and make sure a bunch of metal filings have not collected on the magnet and swap it or maybe there is something goofy with the flywheel... if you have not done that allready.

promod

#4 Post by promod »

I have had a issue with a wire in the plug clip/connector before from the pigtail on harness that plugs into the coil, and everytime i would check on or change a plug for the problem of erratic starting or shut downs i would have issues with same of not and/or eratic running/starting...found problem to be due to a non-consistent spark of coil from coil-clip plug-in electrical connection, sometimes i would get a few sparks for a while then test another new coil and didnt work at all..because upon movement of the connector plugging in and out or vibration caused it to make/not make connection or enough connection needed for proper voltage!....fixed plug-in connector solved problem!! Just a thought! mellow.gif