Hyundai Santa Fe help

bigfoot17

#1 Post by bigfoot17 »

My daughter has a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe with a 4 cylinder. In January she went to start it and it chugged for a while and died. She had it towed in and they could not duplicate the problem. This morning it happened again. This time she let it sit for a while and tried again. It ran fine.
My thoughts were fuel pump or fuel filter. I lean more toward the filter on the pump because she had a rusty fuel neck replaced awhile back. Maybe rust got in the tank and plugs the pump?
Any thoughts?

Catmochanic

#2 Post by Catmochanic »

I would check the fuel pump relay, maybe try tapping on it or replace it with another one that is of the same style (sometimes other accessories will use the same relay's). Also check to see if you are getting power to the fuel pump itself when it act's up...I believe the pump has an access panel under the back seat?

MX Quad Dad

#3 Post by MX Quad Dad »

should have OBD II? any codes?

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

I worked on a bunch of cars that had fuel pumps go out. About half the time I could get them running again by smacking the fuel tank with something heavy to knock the bruches back onto the commutaor ring in the pump. Once running they would go for a while and do it again randomly.

werty

#5 Post by werty »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Mar 30 2014, 06:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I worked on a bunch of cars that had fuel pumps go out. About half the time I could get them running again by smacking the fuel tank with something heavy to knock the bruches back onto the commutaor ring in the pump. Once running they would go for a while and do it again randomly.

That reminds me of rc cars. My stampede would do that same thing.

As far as the Hyundai goes I have the xg350 and my fuel regulator would slowly lose pressure when hot. No codes just found out when the fuel pump didnt fix the issue.