Hypoid Tranny Oil

OCR

Hypoid Tranny Oil

#1 Post by OCR »

What is the difference between Hypoid and non-Hypoid oil?

Why does cannondale specifically state not to use Hypoid Oil in the tranny?

And what could happen if you do?

Jaybr

#2 Post by Jaybr »

Hypoid oil has some sort of additives for limited slip differentials, not sure why Cannondale reccomends against it. I never could find any oils that didin't say they met hypoid requirements, I did however find oil that specifically said hypoid gear oil on the bottle.

I, with a bunch of other members, run Redline Shockproof in the tranny and will never run anything else.

OCR

#3 Post by OCR »

Well, I put Motul oil in my tranny and later found out that it was Hypoid Type, looks like I will be draining it out. Not sure where I can get Redline Shockproof...

What weight is everyone running? 80 or 85?

Thanks for your help. -Chris

Ryanstones

#4 Post by Ryanstones »

Hypoid gear oils won't 'hurt' the machine.
They just have more drag, if i undertstand it right. I used different synthetic 80-90 wt gear oils for a long time, til I read the back of some honda gear oil and it said sonething like "equivalent to 10w40 crank oil.
Now i'm running amsoil 20w50 in crank and tranny, and have no problem getting neutral.

JeffQuadShop

#5 Post by JeffQuadShop »

Torco makes a nice 80W nonhypoid gear oil. I've been running it all season and I am still on the origional clutch!!:head:

Sandstorm

#6 Post by Sandstorm »

The high hp Banshees run half automatic transmission fluid and half gear oil. I have learned this on planetsand. Most eveybody is running this including the builders of these motors..

haydug

#7 Post by haydug »

I am running only Redline now.
My buddy has an oil tester, something that has a lever and weights that you add to it. Anyway, he just tested the Redline for me and the Shockproof ran with all 20 weights on it and didn't lock up. A normal 10-40 valvoline (etc.) locks up with around 6 weights installed.
He took some pictures of this and I'm hoping he will post results in a couple of days.

candyassmiler

#9 Post by candyassmiler »

so if you can run equivalent motor oil in the tranny, how bout using tranny oil in the motor?? rolleyes.gif

candyassmiler

#10 Post by candyassmiler »

reason i ask is i accidentally poured in a whole quart of 80 wt 2 stroke tranny oil not paying attention .....the bottles were super similar.....and had to drain it. i felt like a retard. what would it have hurt?