This Quad is a PITA!

CDaleChick

This Quad is a PITA!

#1 Post by CDaleChick »

Well when i go halfway through the throttle it hits the rev limiter in all gears....... i changed the spark plug, the fuel filter, and cleaned my connections.... what else could it be? I just got the quad remapped with a moto mapping and rode it on the track once with it.... and it ran perfectly fine the whole time.... could it possibly be the mapping has already gone bad in it or what??? This thing has me stumped...... it constantly does the weirdest things...... :confused: :confused:

440EX4ME

Re: This Quad is a PITA!

#2 Post by 440EX4ME »

Originally posted by CDaleChick
Well when i go halfway through the throttle it hits the rev limiter in all gears....... i changed the spark plug, the fuel filter, and cleaned my connections.... what else could it be? I just got the quad remapped with a moto mapping and rode it on the track once with it.... and it ran perfectly fine the whole time.... could it possibly be the mapping has already gone bad in it or what??? This thing has me stumped...... it constantly does the weirdest things...... :confused: :confused:

I read that and the first thing I thought was how much easier EFI is then remembered about the programing and laptop etc. but I am guessing from what your saying you dont change the mapping yourself. Is that the case?

The other thing I thought was when your "hitting the rev limiter at half throttle" you dont mean that the RPM's are that high but thats how it feels.

If thats the case something in the map or the sensors isnt suppling the correct amount of fuel on the higher rpm range (most likely too rich but dont quote me on that).

There are plenty of members who have had similar problems so hopefully one of them can help you fix it etc, but I wanted to reply as I didnt see any and this shouldnt be hard to fix so you dont need to worry.

Jaybr

#3 Post by Jaybr »

If it is hitting the rev limit at half throttle, the first thing I would do is recalibrate the TPS (throttle position sensor). I normally reset mine at the same time I'm changing the oil just to make sure it stays correct. It runs 100% better when the TPS is acurate.

CDaleChick

#4 Post by CDaleChick »

how do u recaliberate the TPS?

02Cannibal

#5 Post by 02Cannibal »

1. Make sure the throttle plate on the vehicle is completely closed. ????????????????Closed??????????????? does not mean at the idle position,
rather, it means the idle adjustment screw is backed out until the throttle plate is completely shut. Pay
attention to any tension present in the cable. Tension will hold the plate open. While you can??????????????????t see inside the
installed throttle body, checking the position of the throttle set plate position can confirm that the plate is fully
closed.

2. Connect the data cable to the computer and vehicle.

3. Open the Cannondale Diagnostic Tool software on your PC.

4. Power-up the vehicle.

5. Use the OPEN button to open a calibration file that is saved on your PC, or use the RECEIVE button to
open the calibration file that is currently stored in the vehicle ECU. When the calibration file is opened or
received successfully, click the SET Throttle Position button.

6. Since you already made sure the throttle plate was completely closed click OK to continue.

7. When prompted have an assistant fully open the throttle and hold it. While the throttle is held in the fully open position click OK.

8. Tell your assistant to release the throttle. Click OK and the Cannondale Dealer Tool will send the open
calibration file (which now includes the new values for fully closed and fully open throttle) to the vehicle
ECU.
When the send is completed, the vehicle ECU will automatically power itself down - the green LED on the
data cable block will go out. Communication from the software to the ECU is now shut down. To recommunicate
with the ECU, you will have to power-up the vehicle once again.

9. Power-up the vehicle ECU and click on the MONITOR ECU Parameters button. You are looking for the
????????????????Throttle (%) Open value.???????????????
Now, make sure the ECU parameters display is in the Continuous mode. Adjust the idle adjustment screw
so that the ????????????????Throttle (%) Open??????????????? value increases by 3%. For example, if the value was 2.3 with the throttle
plate fully closed, you need to adjust this to approximately 5.3 to ballpark the throttle plate position enough
to achieve idle.
Start the engine and allow the vehicle to reach operating temperature (70?????????C) and fine tune the vehicle idle -
setting as specified for the vehicle.

cannibalq8

#6 Post by cannibalq8 »

Great post 02Cannibal :clap: :clap: :head:

i face too many problems with re-calibrattion coz i missed this step

"When the send is completed, the vehicle ECU will automatically power itself down - the green LED on the
data cable block will go out. Communication from the software to the ECU is now shut down. To recommunicate
with the ECU, you will have to power-up the vehicle once again.

9. Power-up the vehicle ECU and click on the MONITOR ECU Parameters button"

thanx alot man smile.gif))

CDaleChick

#7 Post by CDaleChick »

how do i get that program :confused: i definitely dont have one..... i really need to get this quad going... its ran a total of 2.5 months out of the 8 ive owned it for

CDaleChick

#8 Post by CDaleChick »

yes actually i did have a little rollover with the quad..... some idiots on two stock 400exs going very slow decided to weave out into the faster "lane" of the track right when i was over a jump....i hit the brakes to avoid landing dead center on them and nosedived into the jump and rolled down the face of it.. the quad ran fine after it tho...... it ran perfectly great and i cleared a 100' triple with it..... so i dont know why it would run fine right after the wreck but then a few days later it act like thaT?

haydug

#9 Post by haydug »

Where are you located?? Maybe someone here is close enough to help out??

CDaleChick

#10 Post by CDaleChick »

the quad does it even when its idling also.... so more than likely im going to need the computer

Im in texas sad.gif

oh and the quad has 12.6 bolts on the battery when sitting and almost 15 when its running.